What does "A parity error was detected on \Device\ide\idePort0" mean and how can I correct it?

I have a Pentium 4, XP SP3, 2 HDs installed, and i don't think i have SCSI however, in my registry, it shows both HDs and both the CDRW and DVD drives listed under SCSI and there is no heading like Atapi or AT or IDE (the area i'm referring to in the registry is:  \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\) so i'm not sure what's going on in that realm...? Anyhow, everything else refers to above devices as IDE or Atapi etc.

Along with the above parity error i noticed a few more i will add here:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D" (this is a BRAND NEW HD)

"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block" (this is second HD giving same error msg, the last HD failed and this one is used)

"The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block" (this is my CDRW that seems to be working just fine, it's the DVD drive that's not working properly)

"While validating that \Device\Serial0 was really a serial port, a fifo was detected. The fifo will be used."

All of these errors are coming up together for the most part. Please help as I just replaced a failed HD over the summer, now it's looking like another is failing, but i want to know if something else in my computer may be causing the drives to fail, or causing the errors somehow, or whatever else information anyone can give me to help before i start the process of replacing a failing HD (again!)

Thank you....Denise

Answer
Answer

Hi groovydee,

Method 1

I would suggest that you reinstall the controller and chipset drivers by contacting the computer manufacturer, check if it helps.

Method 2

If the above step fails then you will need to perform check disk scan on the hard drive to scan and fix any bad sectors on the drive.

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk would try to repair that sector if any data available on that sector might be lost.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2020 Views 661 Applies to: