Error C:\windows\system32\rundll.32.exe windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.

Original Title: I too am having a great deal of difciculty with .rundll.32.exe.

I too am having a great deal of difciculty with .rundll.32.exe

c:\windows\system32\rundll.32.exe

Everytime I try to update software drivers for USB devices for my laptop.

Trying to use an external mouse that I have been using for years.

I have done malwarebytes system scan, avast system scan, spypot search and destroy scan. None of this software is catching or repairing this problem.

I keep getting a box titled

c;\windows\system32\rundll.32.exe

that reads

Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I have tried some things but it has been persistent and I can't get my USB devices to work/talk with laptop. Very frustrating. Please Help. Thank You.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1.        Have you made any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

2.        What is the exact file name?

Let’s follow these methods & check if the issue persists:

Method 1

a. I would recommend you to run an online virus scan from the link given below & check if the issue persists.

Microsoft Safety Scanner         

Additionally, make sure that you have the latest update for the antivirus software installed on your computer, so that it works properly.

b. You may also download & run Microsoft Security Essentials on your computer.

Method 2

You may check if there is any startup entry of rundll32.exe file. If it is there, disable it from startup items in System Configuration Utility & check if the issue persists.

To do this, follow these steps.

a.        Click Start, type ‘msconfig.exe’ in the Start, Run box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

b.        Click the Startup tab, and then uncheck the file entry in the Startup Item list.

c.        Click OK, and then click Restart.

d.        If the issue doesn’t persist, please let us know the file location from the same window.

Hope the information helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2019 Views 638 Applies to: