WindowsUpdate_80004002 Error - Windows Vista Ultimate

WindowsUpdate_80004002 Error in Windows Vista Ultimate - It has been running flawlessly for years until now.

I have tried the following:

Re-register the required dll's (from another thread)

Fixit

.Net Framework Cleanup tool

along with several other recommended fixes with no luck.

When I try Windows Update I get: Error Found Code 80004002 Windows encountered an unknown error.                                                                                Most recent check for updates:   Updates were installed: Never

Before trying some of the fixes as stated in the Microsoft forums I was getting the same update over and over and it would successfully install over and over. I would tell you what it is but I can't even see any updates that were installed on my comp when you go through Windows Update Installed Updates. All of my update problems started January 16 11:46pm and it's only getting worse.

Alex Microsoft Trebek, I'll take "What is Unknown Code 80004002?" for the win.

Answer
Answer

I'm not a big fan of restore but it fixed the problem this time. I went back a month then let windows update reinstall them accordingly. So far so good. Before the restore I had lost all my update history, nothing was showing up and the last update in windows upate was listed as never. I had tried everything I could find in the forums but none worked, not sure why. After the restore to a month ago it seems to be working normally and all past updates are showing up now. This is the update that kept reinstalling itself when the Windows Update wasn't working ---> Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB2585542)

Installation date: ‎1/‎28/‎2012 10:42 PM

Installation status: Successful

I'm not sure if this update had anything to do with the issue but it's the one that showed up and then the updates quit working.

Thanks,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2018 Views 1,313 Applies to: