jwint22
Had this question 4
Question
jwint22 asked on

windows update, "Windows could not search for new updates", "Error Found; WindowsUpdate_80080005"

I am trying to run windows update and keep receiving the same message:

"Windows could not search for new updates", "Error Found; WindowsUpdate_80080005"

When I attempt to view the update history windows explorer shows only a blank screen with an "OK" button in the bottom right corner

When I click on "OK" the pointer displays the computer is working, but the screen remains blank until I end task through task manager.  I have windows update scheduled to do daily updates automatically.  I keep getting the same update for my Kodak printer, which incidentally is an up for the wrong model.  This lead me to believe it was working properly.

any suggestions?

I am running Kapersky "Anti-Virus 2009"

TaurArian
Found this helpful 1
Answer
TaurArian replied on
From my notes -

0x80080005 implies that Microsoft Installer is not configured properly or may have malfunctioned.

Run the Startup Repair tool by using the Windows Vista installation disc

1.     Insert the installation disc.
Note: The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a DVD, see the information that came with the computer.

2.     Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.
Note: If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.

3.     Set your language preference, and then click Next.
Note: In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.

4.     Click Repair your computer.

5.     In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6.     In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the repair process.

7.     When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

To run the Startup Repair tool if the computer has preinstalled recovery options

Note: In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically. Follow these steps only if Startup Repair does not start automatically.

8.     Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from the computer, and then restart the computer.

9.     Follow one of these steps:

a)      If the computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as the computer restarts. You must press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you must restart and try again.

b)      If the computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to select the operating system that you want to repair. Then, press and hold F8.

10.  In Advanced Boot Options, use the arrow keys to select Repair the computer, and then press ENTER.

11.  Click a keyboard layout in the list, and then click Next.

12.  Click a user name in the list, enter the password, and then click OK.

13.  In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.

14.  When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
Information provided "as is" with no warranties or guarantees.
MVP July 2005 - June 2015
jwint22
Found this helpful 0
jwint22 replied on

Thank you for your prompt response.  Unfortunately, I did not purchase a Dell and therefore need to order the Vista Home Basic recovery disc from Toshiba.  They said it will be here in 3 - 5 business days. 

I was trying to ensure windows update was working so I could could download SP2 before installing Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit-Upgrade.  I understand that this upgrade will work with Vista Home Basic SP1 (currently running MS Windows Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) .  So is this a viable option, or would you suggest waiting for the recovery disc and downloading SP2?  Am I able to download a fix for windows update via the web, or get it off of the Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade cd?

I guess I am as concerned about the rest of my software being up to date as I am the OS.  However, I have the cds for everything and if I need to reinstall software then it should not be a problem.  Just would feel more comfortable if I followed all the directions before upgrading my OS, and I really would prefer not to wait 3 - 5 business days, if possible.

Thank you in advance for any information you are able to provide!
Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Mike - Support Engineer replied on

jwint22,
     Hopefully you have received the CD's and corrected the issue.  With your upgrade to Windows 7, if you haven't performed it yet, I would suggest doing a custom install.  This will be a clean install of the OS.  You will need to reinstall your programs but all your data will be saved on the drive.  This will help ensure no problems that may currently be happening will carry forward.
Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us kn
davivjohnstifu
Found this helpful 0
davivjohnstifu replied on

I'm having the same issue, followed these steps, but the system still can't  seem to get updates.  Mine gives me this error code, but says "Code 8008005   Windows Update encountered an unknown error"

The only thing I can think of is that I'm Vista Ultimate.  Any idea what this means, or further steps I can take to get my updates?

DharmeshVyas
Found this helpful 0
DharmeshVyas replied on

I have the same problem but I'm using Win 7 Professional.
Service Pack 1.  I have tried a lot of things and I can't find the original cd. Is there another solution to this problem. 
This issue is one of the main reason for me not upgrading to a WIN 8 PC. For I'm tired and exhausted with Windows after 20 years of loyalty....This is the end.
DaveConnett
Found this helpful 0
DaveConnett replied on

Hi Dont bother wasting your time with all the suggestions on this forum etc - Even Msoft will not be able to help with this problem unless you pay $99 (And that may not work but you do get a refund) I tried every Fixit Tool and Loads besides - Even going into the registry etc - Forget it 
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/3350cac4-03f9-4e42-94d4-d660d5e46829?page=1&tm=1357119233653
DO THIS
You can get Live Help directly with this problem (The more that bug them then perhaps somebody at Msoft may actually do something about it )
1 - Go to this Page and a Tool will Pop up - Install and/or Run it - If after a reboot Update will not work (It wont lol) Do it again but this time at the end of the Fix (Before you Reboot) Click the Middle Contact Button and this will get you through directly to Windows live help chat (They will even Phone you back if you want - Its Free) and a Tech will chat with you
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
I doubt if they will be able to help anyway (This is a DEFFO Windows Bug!)
Just a simple solution that nobody seems able to give - Just go here and Do them Yourself - Easy Peezy - Heres the Link - All I'm going to do - Stuff there auto Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=Windows%207%20Updates&p=0&r=10&t=&s=availabledate~Descending
Hope this helps
Dave