Can't install Vista Service Pack 2

Marilyn has helped me before with Windows Automatic Download problems...well, I'm back, Marilyn :(

Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465) did not install yesterday morning via my Windows Automatic Download.  When the "failed" dialog box came up, the error code given was 80070490. (Since you helped me with my previous automatic download problem, everything has been just fine until this SP2 download.) 

I then tried a "manual" download via the Microsoft Download website - this also did not work.  A link was provided directing me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb947366.  It suggested downloading "System Update Readiness Tool for Vista (KB947821), which I did, ran it, then rebooted and tried Windows Automatic Download again.  It still failed to install, with the same code (80070490) given. 

During all this, and reading various troubleshooting suggestions, I realized that I needed to disable my virus protection, spyware protection, etc.  So I did that, then tried Windows Automatic Download again.  Still it failed.  Then I tried the manual download (I had saved the executable file to my "Download" folder).  But it still did not work. 

Another troubleshooting place suggested turning off the antispyware/virus programs, rebooting, and opening in safe mode - which I did, then tried the downloaded executable file I'd previously saved  to my "Download" folder.  But it still didn't work.  This time, the resulting dialog box gave me a tiny bit more information: "Installation was not successful.  Element not found.  Details (a link, which I clicked), and it then read: Error: ERROR_NOT_FOUND (0x80070490).

So I've now exhausted what little expertise I have - have you a suggested what I should try next??

Thank you!

Answer
Answer
To All Concerned:

I have finally managed to get my problem solved...Vista SP2 in now installed!  Someone in a different thread suggested rebooting, then doing a Vista repair installation from my Vista reinstallation disk.  These were the instructions given:

1. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.
2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
3. In the Setup window, click Install Now.
4. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).
5. Type the CD key, if you are prompted to do this.
6. Click Yes to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
7. On the Which kind of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade.
8. When the installation is complete, restart your computer, and then try to install the updates.

Doing this did not affect any applications, files, or data currently on my computer.  It was a VERY long process (I've been working on this all day), and once done, then you need to have Windows Automatic Update reinstall quite a few updates...which also took quite a while.  And then the installation of SP2 takes quite a while - so be prepared to spend a significant chunk of time doing this.  But it worked!!  YEAH!!

I hope this might be the answer to others struggling with this same problem. 

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2020 Views 111,009 Applies to: