Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F - "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection..."

Vista's Window Mail & Windows Live Mail are both giving me this same error:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject 'Testing...delete this (medium attach; 350KB)'
Server: 'smtp.fuse.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25

Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10053

If the mail is just text, it usually goes through. A small attachment (60KB'ish) sometimes sends. Any larger attachment always generates the error message

I've disabled my AV's email scan, both for incoming & outgoing messages. It's AVG Free Edition, Ver.8.0.169.

My ISP's help desk says that my setup is correct; that the problem must be a bug in my email client... "call them", they say... It was at their suggestion that I switched from WM to WLM. The problems all seem to have started when the ISP switched my DSL connection from CAPM mode (using a Cisco 675 modem) to DMT mode (with a Westell 6100 modem). (does anybody know what I just said, there? ...I don't!)

...anybody have any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
--
Thx&Rgds...mvm

Answer
Answer

So, Windows XP gave you pretty much the same result as Vista, as far as sending attachments. To rule out the server as the cause of the problem, you should try a different server. Get a free account with Gmail, which will allow
you to try their smtp.gmail.com server.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Theresa

67 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 19, 2021 Views 92,035 Applies to: