jswitney
Had this question 4
Question
jswitney asked on

Outlook and windows mail

I have just purchased a new computer which is installed with Vista and windows mail.  My old machine worked with officexp and had Outlook, not outlook express as the email.  So far I have not been able to transfer the mail, contacts and saved messages to windows mail, which still has my same email address.  I am thinking of setting up the old machine and then forwarding all mesages to a Hotmail account, which will take forever.  I can save some and copy over as well, I suppose.  Is there a simple way of doing this?  I have a file done by the people who transferred files over which has a .pst suffix.  Opening this in notebook gives a massive document from which I can recognise some mail but there are thousands of chracters which seem to represent visuals.  Any advice would be appreciated.     
Hal Hostetler - Windows Exp...
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Hal Hostetler - Windows Exp... replied on
Transferring data from Outlook to Windows Mail requires both programs to be installed and setup on the machine used to do the transfer.  Two choices:

1. Install Outlook on your Vista PC.  Place your existing .PST in a folder where it will NOT OVERWRITE the .PST file created with the Outlook install. Make sure the .PST is NOT set Read Only.  Open Outlook, go to 'File|Open|Outlook Data File' and navigate to the .PST.  Open the file. You'll now have access to all your old email, contacts, calendars, tasks, etc.; you can then import mail and addresses from it with Windows Mail's Import feature. You can do all this with the Office 2007 Trial version, which you can uninstall after the transfer.

2. Find an XP PC which has both Outlook and Outlook Express installed, attach your .PST file to Outlook on this machine, and export everything in Outlook to Outlook Express.  Make copies of all your Outlook Express .DBX files (including Folders.dbx) and your .WAB file and place them in a folder on your Vista PC.  Use these instructions to import your email from OE to WM:

Importing from Outlook Express

To import contacts from the .WAB file, double click it and follow the import wizard prompts.

Hal
-- 
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. 
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/I.T. Pro
MS MVP-Windows Expert-Consumer
WA7BGX
jswitney
Found this helpful 0
jswitney replied on

Thanks Hal, I have solved the problem.  My old office was a small business XP version so it had outlook.  The "tech guys" at PC World, the UK's biggest dealer, said this would not work with my new Vista.  So I bought a new version, home and student, with no outlook.  I needed excel as works is not up to much for me.

Following your advice I re-loaded the XP version and it worked.  Found all the recent emails.  Current contacts not found but a whole set of deleted contacts and sent mails from a football (sorry, soccer) mail list in 2005 appeared.  Even though it had been cleaned and binned.  Amazing what is on the drive!

I tried importing into Windows mail but this did not work.  So I deleted all not required and mailed others to the same email address and these duly appeared on Windows mail in box.

We got there!  Next step is to uninstall Outlook which has come up as default, although mail goes to Windows.

Then I should have systems as needed.  I still have to wipe the old machine somehow so I can pass it on.

Thanks again for your help

John Saunders
Europeanonion
Found this helpful 0
Europeanonion replied on

I wish I had access to XP, I wish I had XP. On Vista, Windows Mail has a very restrictive number of options for importation of files. I have no old machine or even the XP disks, all gone. All I have is a memory stick with a load of archives of my old folders taken from my old Outlook 2003. When I had XP it was no problem downloading Windows, Comma separated files into Outlook folders. Having been forced to have Vista, by hardware purchase, and not being able to afford Outlook 2007 I am stuck. Windows Mail did allow me to import my old contacts folder to the Windows contact folder but there is no facility to re-introduce the data from my other working folder. To add insult to injury I cannot even read all the contents of the records in the Excel file, the messages are truncated.     
Hal Hostetler - Windows Exp...
Found this helpful 0
Hal Hostetler - Windows Exp... replied on

You can always download the Office 2007 Trial version, install it, use Outlook 2007 to perform the transfers, then uninstall it after the transfers are complete.

Hal
-- 
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. 
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/I.T. Pro
MS MVP-Windows Expert-Consumer
WA7BGX