internal error: failed to expand shell folder constant "userappdata".

hello there..

i'm having a problem when i'm trying to install a program.
an error window saying internal error: failed to expand shell folder constant "userappdata" pop up when i try install the program.
it's a K-lite mega codec version 4.75. it's compatible with windows vista because i have install it into other computer. because before this i've already install the older version.
after i uninstall the older version to replace it with a newer version the error happen.
can you help me with this problem?
not only i can't intall the new version, but right now even the older ones' having the same error
i'm the administrator of this machine..
can anyone help me please..
thanks.
Answer
Answer
Hello axroy,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Vista Forums.

I see you posted this problem on another link.  What happened when you tried the steps below and then tried to reinstall?

Since the "Appdata" folder is a hidden folder, you have to set it to show. Below are the instructions for showing hidden folders:

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Now lets make sure you have the correct permissions to the folder

Changing Folder Permissions

1. Right Click on the Folder you wish to restrict properties on
  2. Select “Properties”
  3. In the Properties window go to the Security tab and click on Edit.
  4. If the your user account is not on the list of users or groups that have permissions defined, you should click on Add. Now you need to type the user name or the group of users for which you want to change the permissions.
  5. After adding your account, Click Check Names and then click OK.
  6. In the Security window, select the user/group you just added and then click in the first check box under Allow which is “Full Control” and then click OK.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2021 Views 8,595 Applies to: