Richard_M
Had this question 33
Question
Richard_M asked on

folders keep being created for each jpg file

For the last few days, an additional folder for each jpg file on the hard drive is generated automatically containing always two new jpg files (vcm_s_kf_m160_106x160.jpg and vcm_s_kf_repr_320x480.jpg). How can I stop it, and if possible undo it?

Linney
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Linney replied on
MVP

As stated System Restore will not delete your photos, even the ones beginning with "vcm_s_kf".  You'll have to delete those manually, even after any System Restore.

Vista - System Restore Q&A
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/q_a.html#7
Linney
Found this helpful 6
Most Helpful Reply
Linney replied on
MVP

Did you see the first comments that mentioned a synchronization problem and Yahoo?  Are you using Yahoo, or some other Online Server, and Synchronizing between Vista and the Server?

Do you run something called "Vaio content analyzer" or something relating to "Photoshop CS / Elements" , or have a Nikon Camera that these photos originated from, if so have a look at this thread?

"The Vaio content analyzer
Just search for the Vaio content analyzer (settings)

and unmark
Video analyzis
picture analyzis
music analyzis".

See what other settings this program has (If you run it)?

Forgive me for my ignorance....
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38979.html

In Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View, there are two settings that mention Thumbnails, "Always Show icons, never thumbnails" and Display file icon on thumbnail".  You can see what changing them does if you like.  The second one might give you an icon from which you might be able to identify a program that created the thumbnail, if it was different from your photo editor's .jpg icon?

Disk Cleanup has an option for clearing details of cached thumbnails (not the actual photo file itself).

Linney
Found this helpful 0
Linney replied on
MVP
Are you also storing your photos on some other site such as Yahoo etc. and are they being synchronized automatically?

What are these new .jpg depicting, are they a copy of the main .jpg?

If what ever is happening is only a recent occurrence then maybe System Restore can help you?

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/#appliesto
Richard_M
Found this helpful 0
Richard_M replied on

I had something installed from Yahoo on my computer by mistake, but removed it again.

The new jpg files are copy of the main jpg as you assumed.

I don't want to loose any of the main jpg's, and also don't want to transfer anything suspicious to my data backup system. If I use System Restore, do I loose the main jpg's on my harddrive? 
Martin - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Martin - Support Engineer replied on

System Restore is inteded only to change back system configuration settings. It should not delete any files on your computer.
But is always recommended that you have a backup of your personal information, specially pictures that cannot be retaken.

Martin
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
Martin
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let u
Linney
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Linney replied on
MVP

As stated System Restore will not delete your photos, even the ones beginning with "vcm_s_kf".  You'll have to delete those manually, even after any System Restore.

Vista - System Restore Q&A
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/q_a.html#7
Dan1437
Found this helpful 0
Dan1437 replied on

I have the same question but none of the respones seem to know what the problem is. Vista creates these folders and puts the mentioned thumbnail files in them. There must be a way to turn it off somehow, and it drives me crazy. Isn't there anyone around who knows vista well enough to tell us how to turn this function off?

Linney
Found this helpful 6
Linney replied on
MVP

Did you see the first comments that mentioned a synchronization problem and Yahoo?  Are you using Yahoo, or some other Online Server, and Synchronizing between Vista and the Server?

Do you run something called "Vaio content analyzer" or something relating to "Photoshop CS / Elements" , or have a Nikon Camera that these photos originated from, if so have a look at this thread?

"The Vaio content analyzer
Just search for the Vaio content analyzer (settings)

and unmark
Video analyzis
picture analyzis
music analyzis".

See what other settings this program has (If you run it)?

Forgive me for my ignorance....
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38979.html

In Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View, there are two settings that mention Thumbnails, "Always Show icons, never thumbnails" and Display file icon on thumbnail".  You can see what changing them does if you like.  The second one might give you an icon from which you might be able to identify a program that created the thumbnail, if it was different from your photo editor's .jpg icon?

Disk Cleanup has an option for clearing details of cached thumbnails (not the actual photo file itself).

ParkerLindner
Found this helpful 0
ParkerLindner replied on
Me too and all my photos seem to be only these files on my computer - I have to go to y back up drive to get the real thing. What's happening?
SueO
Found this helpful 0
SueO replied on

The general impression that I'm getting from these posts is that Vaio Content Manager is responsible.  I uploaded to Flickr (which is Yahoo) but don't sync with it, so it seems like that wouldn't be at fault. 

I think I have figured this out!  Vaio Content Manager went in, analyzed the pictures and left thumbnails in their place.  I can't imagine why anyone thought it was a good idea to put each image into its own little folder, but it probably is doing exactly what it's supposed to. 

When I followed the instructions in the previous post, turning off all the different types of analysis, the "picture" folder reverted to its normal state:  the folders that I had created with all the original files all in a row.  (I also removed all the folders from its watch-list just in case it turns itself back on).

Apparently, they were never gone, just hidden.  ParkerLindner - you probably don't have to go back to your backup.  Just turn off Content Manager, and all will be restored.  I hope.  And continue to back up obsessively.

ParkerLindner
Found this helpful 0
ParkerLindner replied on

The general impression that I'm getting from these posts is that Vaio Content Manager is responsible.  I uploaded to Flickr (which is Yahoo) but don't sync with it, so it seems like that wouldn't be at fault. 

I think I have figured this out!  Vaio Content Manager went in, analyzed the pictures and left thumbnails in their place.  I can't imagine why anyone thought it was a good idea to put each image into its own little folder, but it probably is doing exactly what it's supposed to. 

When I followed the instructions in the previous post, turning off all the different types of analysis, the "picture" folder reverted to its normal state:  the folders that I had created with all the original files all in a row.  (I also removed all the folders from its watch-list just in case it turns itself back on).

Apparently, they were never gone, just hidden.  ParkerLindner - you probably don't have to go back to your backup.  Just turn off Content Manager, and all will be restored.  I hope.  And continue to back up obsessively.

Still having soem issues.  When I turned off the analyzers all of my pictures disappeared from the folders.  I contacted Sony Support and they had me do a system restore.  This partially returned my pictures but many are still in the thumbnail only and for others multiple thumbnails have been created.  This is driving me nuts - too much management.  What would happen if I just get rid of the enelyzer apps entirely?  Anyone know what they are there for anyway?
thanks
Parker
ParkerLindner
Found this helpful 0
ParkerLindner replied on

Still having soem issues.  When I turned off the analyzers all of my pictures disappeared from the folders.  I contacted Sony Support and they had me do a system restore.  This partially returned my pictures but many are still in the thumbnail only and for others multiple thumbnails have been created.  This is driving me nuts - too much management.  What would happen if I just get rid of the enelyzer apps entirely?  Anyone know what they are there for anyway?
thanks
Parker

also I'm wondering if the vista gadget that runs a mini slide show has anything to do with this.  After all it is displaying thumbnails in about the same size. thoughts? thanks
Previous Previous Page of 4 Next Next