pipper912
Had this question 13
Question
pipper912 asked on

When trying to run a system recovery I get this error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. OxcOOOOOOf

original title: OxcOOOOOOf Error

My laptop crashed.  I used my original recovery to boot. I get a message from Windows Boot Manager as follows:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert you Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your Computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact you system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The seelected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

This does not work. Any suggestions, and no I haven't changed any before the crash.

Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Mike - Support Engineer replied on

pipper912,
      From your other post I was unclear if you were able to boot from the Vista DVD.  At this point it looks as if you will need to do a clean install. 

Here are the steps you will need to follow.
Boot up with the Vista DVD and select to install Vista.
When it asks for the product key do not enter it. 
You will then have to select the version of Vista you have(Home Basic, Home Premium etc..).
Follow the install instructions but do not tell it update or activate at this point.

Once it has been installed you will need to be at the desktop and insert the Vista DVD into the drive.
At this point you will select to the Install Now option.
You can select to have it check online for the latest updates.
At this point you will put in your product key and complete the install.
This should now accept your product key and complete the install. 

If you have any questions about this process or would like detailed steps let us know.

Mike Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us kn
Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
pipper912,
     Thank you posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Do you have access to a Vista DVD?  If not you will need to contact your OEM to get a copy of the Vista DVD.  Then you will need to boot from the DVD and run the startup repair option.  You recovery partition may have the repair function available, you will need to verify that with your OEM.  If after you run the Startup repair you still have a problem post back for further assistance.
pipper912
Found this helpful 0
pipper912 replied on

My computer is 2 years old, when I bought it, it came with Windows XP with a upgrade to Vista when Vista was released, so I do have the upgrade on DVD.  I could not boot it from the recovery disc that I made after installing Vista, so I tried the recovery disc that Geek Squad made with XP on it, that booted and took me to the black screen with the message to insert the Vista installation disc. That gave me the blue screen to choose language etc... choose repair my computer... could not repair no OS system found... tried the install Vista and that tells me my product key is invalid.

Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1

Pipper912,
     Can you boot from the Vista upgrade DVD?  If so you will need to boot from it and it will ask you for what language to use.  On the next screen you will select "Repair Computer" from the bottom left of the window.  It will show a list of the operating systems it finds (should only be one on the list).  Select the appropriate entry.  It will then give you the System Recovery Options window and you will need to select Startup Repair.

If you are not able to boot from that DVD you will need to obtain a copy.  You might want to check with your OEM as they may be able to provide one if needed.
pipper912
Found this helpful 0
pipper912 replied on

Repeat.... Have done all that, still says no Operating System found installed. 
pipper912
Found this helpful 0
pipper912 replied on

Accidently posted as helpful, it was not!!!!
Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer

pipper912,
      From your other post I was unclear if you were able to boot from the Vista DVD.  At this point it looks as if you will need to do a clean install. 

Here are the steps you will need to follow.
Boot up with the Vista DVD and select to install Vista.
When it asks for the product key do not enter it. 
You will then have to select the version of Vista you have(Home Basic, Home Premium etc..).
Follow the install instructions but do not tell it update or activate at this point.

Once it has been installed you will need to be at the desktop and insert the Vista DVD into the drive.
At this point you will select to the Install Now option.
You can select to have it check online for the latest updates.
At this point you will put in your product key and complete the install.
This should now accept your product key and complete the install. 

If you have any questions about this process or would like detailed steps let us know.

DBI2
Found this helpful 0
DBI2 replied on

I have been having the same problem as you, the same error screen, please let me know if you find a solution.
DBI2
Found this helpful 0
DBI2 replied on

I have been having the same problem, the exact same error screen, please let me know if you find a solution.
hakimicomnewbie
Found this helpful 0
hakimicomnewbie replied on

hey,i had the same problem,are you sure about the step that u ask to do is going to be working??
styyli
Found this helpful 0
styyli replied on

i hv same problem, how to fix it?

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next