Brian--
Had this question 13
Question
Brian-- asked on

Problem Upgrading From Windows XP to Windows Vista

I’m trying to upgrade a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista. The problem is that I cannot select the Upgrade option and I get the following error message:

Upgrade has been disabled

- The legacy OS does not meet the software update requirements: “Service Pack 2 for Windows XP”

How do I resolve this?

Brian
Brian--
Found this helpful 10
Answer
Brian-- replied on

This problem occurs because Windows XP Service Pack 2 is not installed. To resolve this, follow the steps below:

1.       Exit the Windows Vista installation process.

2.       Install Windows XP Service Pack 2. To do this, visit the following Windows Update site:
            http://update.microsoft.com 

3.       Restart the Windows Vista installation process.

Brian
jtdoom
Found this helpful 1
jtdoom replied on
Hi.
You may have to do this on more than one PC.
You can save some time by downloading the SP once, and store it on a thumbdrive or on a CDRW.

You also need XP SP2 (you can skip SP1) if you want to roll out SP3 since SP3 will not update legacy.
 (Legacy is also known as XP "gold", which was the original XP RTM.).

Here is the link to SP2 full download.
(Choose language of choice, then download.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

You can then run SP2 from the portable media you saved it to.
Kind regards, Jaak
Kind regards, Jaak
urbanch
Found this helpful 0
urbanch replied on

Are you saying this will not work with SP 3 at all? I am having tge same trouble and have SP 3 installed.

urbanch
Rami--
Found this helpful 0
Rami-- replied on

urbanch are you recieving the same message [The legacy OS does not meet the software update requirements: “Service Pack 2 for Windows XP”]?
If not what are you getting exactly?

Are you running your upgrade from with in the desktop or from your computer booting?
Upgrade will only show when you load the setup disk from within XP

Please give us more detail on your situation.
Rami
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Rami
jtdoom
Found this helpful 0
jtdoom replied on

urbanch said:

Are you saying this will not work with SP 3 at all? I am having tge same trouble and have SP 3 installed.

urbanch

Hi,
no, none of us were saying that you cannot upgrade to vista from within XP-SP3.
I am thinking (afraid that ) this question was triggered by another licence difference.
You may be running XP-SP3 and your Vista may not see it is a valid source to ''upgrade".
The original posted asked about 

- The legacy OS does not meet the software update requirements: “Service Pack 2 for Windows XP”

Far as I know, an XP upgrade over millenium or win 2000 can be updated to sp1, to sp2, to SP3, but this up to date XP won't upgrade to vista with a vista upgrade licence.
In other words, an upgrade XP cannot be upgraded by an upgrade licence of Vista.

A retail Vista will still require the XP is at least at SP2. (and that SP2 is still downloadable, and  can update a gold or Sp1 to the required level for upgrade from within windows.)
A retail vista can, of course, format and do a clean install on a partition or second hard disk, but don't always trust on your expertise when you start from (boot from) DVD.

OEM vista are not meant to be used as upgrade.
So, read what Brian and Rami explain, and trust them to correct my error. (if any)
> Jaak edit, you can explain and answer questions. Albeit I did write about my guess, we are not here to guess. :)
> XP service pack 3 requires SP1 or Sp2, it cannot update XP gold. And XP SP2 can update an XP gold.
> Vista can upgrade from windows XP-Sp2 or SP3, which forced a good many IT shops make slipstreamed SP2 updates of legacy and SP1 versions of XP.

Kind regards, Jaak
Kind regards, Jaak
harronp
Found this helpful 0
harronp replied on

urbanch said:

urbanch

Hi,
no, none of us were saying that you cannot upgrade to vista from within XP-SP3.
I am thinking (afraid that ) this question was triggered by another licence difference.
You may be running XP-SP3 and your Vista may not see it is a valid source to ''upgrade".
The original posted asked about 

Far as I know, an XP upgrade over millenium or win 2000 can be updated to sp1, to sp2, to SP3, but this up to date XP won't upgrade to vista with a vista upgrade licence.
In other words, an upgrade XP cannot be upgraded by an upgrade licence of Vista.

A retail Vista will still require the XP is at least at SP2. (and that SP2 is still downloadable, and  can update a gold or Sp1 to the required level for upgrade from within windows.)
A retail vista can, of course, format and do a clean install on a partition or second hard disk, but don't always trust on your expertise when you start from (boot from) DVD.

OEM vista are not meant to be used as upgrade.
So, read what Brian and Rami explain, and trust them to correct my error. (if any)
> Jaak edit, you can explain and answer questions. Albeit I did write about my guess, we are not here to guess. :)
> XP service pack 3 requires SP1 or Sp2, it cannot update XP gold. And XP SP2 can update an XP gold.
> Vista can upgrade from windows XP-Sp2 or SP3, which forced a good many IT shops make slipstreamed SP2 updates of legacy and SP1 versions of XP.

Kind regards, Jaak

hi yes u can but u may findout u will get the same problam as i did u may get pleas  activation windows vistar but i conld dont sowe i am stuk nawe but not for long ok and i tell u more hawe i got rand it ok
:)
urbanch
Found this helpful 0
urbanch replied on

Thanks all for the help but I still have the problem. Maybe I can explain more clearly. Currently my machine is running XP with all updates installed including XP 3. When I install Vista CD I get an Error message saying not a valid 32 bit application. When I boot off the disk it begins installing without a problem but I do not get an option to upgrade, only a full install is available. I am scared that a full install will wipe my drive and I will lose information. How do I install this without losing any info?

Chris
Volkan Elveren
Found this helpful 0
Volkan Elveren replied on
Microsoft

1. You cannot launch Vista x64 setup in Windows XP x86 or you will get an "invalid Win32" error. You have to boot off the DVD and clean install.
    How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218/en-us
  2. Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us
  3. Installation choices for 32-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616/en-us

Microsoft Certified Professional| http://velveren.spaces.msn.com/ | http://search.live.com/macros/volkan/kbsearch/
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights
cptstumpy
Found this helpful 0
cptstumpy replied on

I am upgrading from xp pro to vista ultimate 64 and am getting the Win32 error.  When I try to boot off the disk it starts to load vista, gets to the logon screen and then I can't do anything.
GLBC 1
Found this helpful 0
GLBC 1 replied on
You could try installing sp2 fo xp. You might have purchaced the full version.
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next