Brian-Support Engineer
Had this question 5
Question
Brian-Support Engineer asked on

Is it worth upgrading to Windows Vista before Windows 7?

would it be worth my time......upgrading to Windows Vista before going to Windows 7?....

Is there an upgrade path from Windows Vista to Windows 7 ?

thanks

rob davis

Brian
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let u
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Brian-Support Engineer replied on

You will be able to upgrade from Windows Vista to Win7. But since Win7 is still in *pre*-beta, only you can decide what you want to do. After all, it will be at least a year until Win7 is RTM. If you have access to the pre-beta bits, you might want to play with it in a virtual machine. Certainly you wouldn't put it on a production machine.

Malke

--

MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Brian
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer

Yes and more importantly it will allow you to iron out any issues now such as application or driver compatibility issues on Windows Vista as the current plan of record is to make Windows Vista drivers and app compat carry forward to Windows 7.

So anyone who stays on XP now will have as big or bigger issue going to Windows 7 as they would going to Windows Vista, and the Windows Vista users will have a much easier time going to 7.

--

Mike Brannigan

Brian
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer

You will be able to upgrade from Windows Vista to Win7. But since Win7 is still in *pre*-beta, only you can decide what you want to do. After all, it will be at least a year until Win7 is RTM. If you have access to the pre-beta bits, you might want to play with it in a virtual machine. Certainly you wouldn't put it on a production machine.

Malke

--

MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Brian
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer

Yes and more importantly it will allow you to iron out any issues now such as application or driver compatibility issues on Windows Vista as the current plan of record is to make Windows Vista drivers and app compat carry forward to Windows 7.

So anyone who stays on XP now will have as big or bigger issue going to Windows 7 as they would going to Windows Vista, and the Windows Vista users will have a much easier time going to 7.

--

Mike Brannigan

Brian
rnh16
Found this helpful 0
rnh16 replied on
of course you can upgrade from windows vista into windows 7, however i personally don't think it is worth it.. if you want you can now go directly to try windows 7 RC, whichhas many major fixes over the Windows 7 Beta and also i think over the Windows Vista. My laptopcamewith a geniun Windows Vista Home Premium Edition and i couldn't wait till I got the Windows 7 RC and uninstall the Vista. Believe me I have been using the Windows 7 RC 64-bit for some time now, and it is muchmuch better than the Vista.
In the end it is for you to decide however..
hope this helps..
BryceCat
Found this helpful 0
BryceCat replied on

I just brought a new notebook (like 3 days ago) running vista basic it is just the most aweful OS, I've downloaded and am currently using windows 7 RC on my old xp media center 05  notebook and it is just leaps and bounds better than vista. Best of all everything just worked!! this is microsoft we are talking about, and it works!! I would suggest anyone avoid vista like the plague, and either wait till win 7 is released, or try the RC.
Vsurska
Found this helpful 0
Vsurska replied on

in terms of cost - you might want to install Vista before W7 cause there is a special offer - buy Vista now and get W7 for free.
here is the link:
//store.microsoft.com/microsoft/windows-windows-vista/category/101
it might be that buying Vista now is a lot more cheeper than buy W7 later.