Cannot update to .NET framework 3.5 SP1 and family update KB951847 (error code: 8004100A)

original title: Cannot update to .NET framework 3.5 SP1 and family update KB951847

I am unable to install this update- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

Every time I do, the installation runs fine, it asks to restart in order to change system files and I click restart. It configures update, restarts again, configures some more, then reverts changes then tries again then reverts changes till I finally reach my desktop.
In update history I get this

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

Installation date: ‎4/‎6/‎2009 9:29 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8004100A

Update type: Important

The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and the .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 License Terms.

More information: 
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133335

Help and Support: 
http://support.microsoft.com

In problem reports and solutions, there are several problems by windows modules installer such as "WindowsWcpOtherFailure3", "WindowsWcpAIFailure3" and "CbsPackageServicingFailure".

I have tried the following - used the dot netfx cleanup tool, closed all running programs and antivirus while installing, removed any trace of .net framework in installed updates and installed programs, tried to install it again but no luck.

Now it shows up as failed in update history and windows update still asks for it, but I can see this in installed updates - 
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
Answer
Answer
I found out what the problem was and it is a lot simpler.

All i did was add wbem folder to PATH variable as stated in here - 

and also added system32 as it was not there.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility
============================================
1. Please download the tool from the following link:

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link to the local Desktop and extract it.
3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
4. Please follow the instructions given.
In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All versions".
5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
6. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
=======================================================
Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.

1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update

2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2021 Views 234,406 Applies to: