What causes repetative corrupt user profiles?

Previously I had only 2 active user accounts.  Mine (admin) and that for another user (standard).  Both profiles corrupted in June - finally fixed that.  After that, I added another admin account and a guest account.  4 days ago, every profile but the guest account corrupted.   Tried to restore - didn't work- finally went into safe mode under my original admin account and did a regedit.  That fixed everything, then yesterday, all profiles EXCEPT the guest account corrupted again.  This time, I did a restore to fix everything.  What causes this?  We don't have Google Chrome loaded, ran malware program, had some 4 days ago - they were removed; but nothing this time.  The only thing I see different is a Microsoft update I downloaded on 8/27.  Why does this keep happening?  I'm ready to trace down anything - restoring user profiles is exhausting.
Answer
Answer
"debij13" wrote in message news:30780636-7737-483d-ade0-f1f7e1f2facc...
Previously I had only 2 active user accounts.  Mine (admin) and that for another user (standard).  Both profiles corrupted in June - finally fixed that.  After that, I added another admin account and a guest account.  4 days ago, every profile but the guest account corrupted.   Tried to restore - didn't work- finally went into safe mode under my original admin account and did a regedit.  That fixed everything, then yesterday, all profiles EXCEPT the guest account corrupted again.  This time, I did a restore to fix everything.  What causes this?  We don't have Google Chrome loaded, ran malware program, had some 4 days ago - they were removed; but nothing this time.  The only thing I see different is a Microsoft update I downloaded on 8/27.  Why does this keep happening?  I'm ready to trace down anything - restoring user profiles is exhausting.

Corruption like this can be caused by malware, it can also be caused by failing hardware.
First, check that your system is *really* clean - you say that your ran a malware program a few days ago and it found something, but you don't say what, and what program you used.
What AV are you using? what other anti-malware are you using?

Check your hardware out - particularly the hard drive and the RAM -
for the HD, use the HD manufacturer's test utility from their website - download it, create the boot CD and run it.
for the RAM, use Memtest86 (again, download it, create the CD, and boot with the CD) - run it overnight and see what it has to say in the morning.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2022 Views 8,095 Applies to: