MAVERICKMOORE
Had this question 6
Question
MAVERICKMOORE asked on

Error Code 0x8007007B

Went to do a system restore but keep getting this error code 0x8007007B.  The reason why I wanted to do a system restore is because the USB ports on the front panel of computer suddenly became unrecognised by the system, hence I was going to restore back to early date when everything was o.k.  please help.  I don't have the Vista software as the tower came preloaded and I don't have a restore back-up disc.
Praseetha K
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Praseetha K replied on
Microsoft

Hi MAVERICKMOORE,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Since you are getting an error message at the time of doing System restore, first you may try the steps to resolve the System Restore issue and later try the steps provided to trouble shoot on USB device issue.

Step 1: Try creating a new restore point and try to restore to that point. If you can restore, then we can conclude that your previous restore points are damaged

Creating system restore point manually:
1. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
2. In the left pane, click System Protection  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create

You may also try to boot in Safe mode and try doing a System restore.

Step 2: To boot to Safe Mode you can follow the below given steps:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. Do one of the following:

a. If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

b. If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press ENTER.

For more information about options, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

4. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

For more information, you may refer the following links for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Regarding the USB related issue; you may try the following steps:

You may try to plug in another USB port and check whether the device is getting detected.

First of all you can check Disk Management to see if the drive is detected there:

1. Right-click on Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management.

2. Check the upper and lower windows to find whether the drive is detected.

If the drive is detected, then right click on the flash drive or thumb drive and then choose change drive letter and paths to assign a new path.

If the external drive is not detected, please try connecting the external drive to another PC to check if the device is working there.

For more information, you may refer the following link and try the Fixit:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

Hope this information is useful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

MarianneLehQO
Found this helpful 0
MarianneLehQO replied on

I am 86 years old and this is much too complicated for me to figure out on  my computer !!!!
MarianneLehQO
Found this helpful 0
MarianneLehQO replied on

I simply want to restore my excel without t message activation failed!!!