Windows Firewall wont start, Error Code 6801 in Eventlog viewer

When i try to manually start my windows firewall it just states that it cannot be run.
I have checked that the Firewalls dependencies are running via services.msc
(RPC) Remote Procedure Call is started and set to automatic
DCOM Server Process Launcher also started and set to automatic
Those are the only 2 mentioned in the dependency tree.

Ive tried going into regedit as per the http://forums.techarena.in/vista-security/754147.htm
But could never find the query%set values they mentioned let alone how to make them.

Installed Antivirus program is ESET 4.0 with Firewall.
Tried disabling all startup services and non microsoft services via msconfig, but the firewall still wont start.

My system is running Windows Vista Premium.

I have no idea why the firewall just quit on me, i disabled it when i installed ESET smart security 1-2 years back.
I have been fiddling with the startup services to try to make my computer boot faster, might be something i have done there,
still i tried activating them all to no avail.

Im gonna do a complete Virus Scan to see if that might be the culprit but its higly unlikely methinks.
Any Input from the Forumites here would be appreciated as i really need to get the windows firewall service to start to be able to install my Drivers for the new printer i just bought
(part of its installation require it to start the windows firewall to configure it, when it fails it cant complete the install)
Answer
Answer
I solved it thnx to DaGreenOne,

It wasnt enough to simply disable the ESET firewall,
you have to completely uninstall the whole ESET program for the windows firewall to work again.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2024 Views 49,268 Applies to: