rockstar982161
Had this question 81
Question
rockstar982161 asked on

"User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.'

So, here's the deal. Yesterday, I logged on into my account (Administrator) and Firefox was doing some update. Now, here's what happened. I logged out on the update, because the laptop was running MAJORLY slow. So, the next time I try to log in, I get the above error message. The only account now open is my brother's account which is a standard acount which I'm currently using.
Please don't tell me to make an another admistrator's account, because I've tried several times and it failed.
Also, I've tried System Resotre. Also a bust.
With Registry, I've found out that there's a backup of my account, but I can't access or edit it with my brother's current account. Yippee.
The Safe Mode can be logged in, but after a short while, Windows displays that it's a 'default profile' and it contains none of my files. You can't really do anything (make another account, make brother admistrator, etc.) in it.
Please please PLEASE help me.
Thank you so much in advance.
Malkeleah
Found this helpful 49
Answer
Malkeleah replied on
This error can usually be fixed by following the steps below. Doing all this requires a certain level of computer skills. You know yourself best and whether taking the machine to a competent local computer tech (not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place) is the better solution for you.

1. Log into another user account with administrative privileges. If you neglected to make an extra administrative account do Steps 2-3. Otherwise continue at Step 4. Also see the general information about setting up user accounts in Vista at the end of this post.

2. Boot into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right menu where you can use your arrow key to select Safe Mode [enter]. The built-in Administrator account is disabled by default in Vista. However, if no other administrative accounts exist on the system it may be enabled. If it is, you will see an icon for Administrator on the Welcome Screen in Safe Mode. Log into Administrator.

3. If If you don't see the icon for the Administrator account in Safe Mode, then the built-in Administrator account is still disabled and you'll need to do some more work. If you have a Vista installation DVD (not a recovery DVD) you can boot the system with it. Select the default language, then choose "Repair your computer". Then select "Command Prompt". At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:yes [enter]

[Note: Do not type the brackets!]

If you don't have a Vista installation DVD (only have a recovery disc), the computer mftr. may have given you the Vista System Repair option (not a System Recovery!) on the diagnostic menu. This diagnostic menu is the same one where you can choose Safe Mode.  Or you can make a bootable Vista Repair DVD from the file at this link:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Note: All the Neosmart recovery disc downloads are torrent files. There is a good explanation of torrent files at the Neosmart website. You will need a torrent client such as muTorrent to get the files. The torrent client will download the .iso file with which to create the bootable DVD. You will need third-party burning software such as Nero, Roxio, or the free ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com ) to burn the .iso as an image, not as data.

Now remove the rescue CD/DVD you made, reboot the system into Windows, and log into the built-in Administrator account you enabled.

4. Try a System Restore to when things were working. If you can log into your own user account, you're finished. Otherwise continue at Step 5.

5. The critical files are under %systemdrive%\users\user-account\ntuser. The ntuser.dat file is actually a registry hive. Run Regedit elevated and select HKEY_USERS and "load hive" from the menu. Now navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

There is one line for each profile. If a profile is bad, check:

a) That the key name doesn't end in ".bak" (remove .bak if there)
b) That the RefCount value is 0 (change it if different)
c) That the State value is 0 (change if different)

Make any necessary changes, close Regedit and try to log in as that user.

6. If that doesn't fix your profile, it is corrupted. At that point you should make a new Standard user account and copy your data to it. Do not delete the old account until you have retrieved the data you need!

Once everything is working, log into the extra administrative account you will make per the suggestions below and disable the built-in Administrator account again for security purposes:

Start Orb>Search box>type: cmd
When cmd appears in Results above, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator" [OK]. Now you will get the command prompt. At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:no [enter]

Exit the command prompt.

General Recommendations For Setting Up Users In Vista

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP and all other modern operating systems, Vista is a multi-user operating system with built-in system accounts such as Administrator, Default, and Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating system structure.

You particularly don't want only one user account with administrative privileges on Vista because the built-in Administrator account (normally only used in emergencies) is disabled by default. If you're running as Administrator for your daily work and that account gets corrupted, things will be Difficult. It isn't impossible to activate the built-in Administrator to rescue things, but it may be more work than you want to do. Best not to get into a bad situation to begin with.

The user account that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with the extra administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech" or the like) only there for elevation purposes. Running as a Standard user is best practice for security purposes and will help protect your computer from infection. After you create "CompAdmin", log into it and change your regular user account to Standard. Then log back into your regular account.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
davivid
Found this helpful 7
davivid replied on

Hi.  I followed these instructions to resolve my similar problem, ie "User Profile Service failed", and I can now sign in again. 

I did this -

2. Boot into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.

The change I made was the RefCount was 1, so I changed it to 0. Voila, it worked.

BUT....  I can now no longer find my pictures, anywhere on the C drive.  I have a partitioned hard drive, with one small section separated and called D Drive, where I back up my photos.  I can get to these still, as I always did, but the only pisctures on C Drive are the stock samples that come with Vista.  Unfortunately, I have loaded more pictures since the last back up ,and so what I have in the D Drive folders is not all.

I had seen the same "fix" on other sites while googling (on my laptop, not the affected PC, as I couldn't do anything on it), and used your site because I trust you,m so thank you for that.

And so now I need help retrievfing the pics.  I assume they are still there on the hard drive, and I have merely gone back to the same settings as when I bought the PC, or to some past "safe" point.  Either way, that is fine, and anything else that is missing or changed I can deal with, but I NEED to find these pictures, and reinstate them to my primary pictures storage per my new login.

Please help.  Thanks, Viv

pike1346
Found this helpful 1
pike1346 replied on

Awesome post...You just saved me a ton of hurt. My account on my work PC just got corrupted b/c I changed my password and just tried to log-off and back in and not reboot. Somehow that corrupted the account and I did not want to 86 my profile and start over, so I thank you for saving my a lot of time.
davivid
Found this helpful 0
davivid replied on

Hi.  I followed these instructions to resolve my similar problem, ie "User Profile Service failed", and I can now sign in again. 

I did this -

2. Boot into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.

The change I made was the RefCount was 1, so I changed it to 0. Voila, it worked.

BUT....  I can now no longer find my pictures, anywhere on the C drive.  I have a partitioned hard drive, with one small section separated and called D Drive, where I back up my photos.  I can get to these still, as I always did, but the only pisctures on C Drive are the stock samples that come with Vista.  Unfortunately, I have loaded more pictures since the last back up ,and so what I have in the D Drive folders is not all.

I had seen the same "fix" on other sites while googling (on my laptop, not the affected PC, as I couldn't do anything on it), and used your site because I trust you,m so thank you for that.

And so now I need help retrievfing the pics.  I assume they are still there on the hard drive, and I have merely gone back to the same settings as when I bought the PC, or to some past "safe" point.  Either way, that is fine, and anything else that is missing or changed I can deal with, but I NEED to find these pictures, and reinstate them to my primary pictures storage per my new login.

Please help.  Thanks, Viv

Mark555555
Found this helpful 0
Mark555555 replied on

Weird, if i create a new account it says the same and in regedit they have only 4-5 values

I also tried disabling the user profile service or wahtever and i could logon

BUT I didnt have any admin rights

SpiritX MS MVP
Found this helpful 1

Hi,

You can try to fix with Safe Mode - repeatedly tap F8 as you bootup.

Some programs like the Google Updater (if you added the Google Toolbar, Chrome or Google
Earth) has been known to cause this issue.

How to Fix the Error "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

How to Fix the Error "Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with
a temporary profile." in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/135858-user-profile-error-logged-temporary-profile.html

BE VERY CAREFUL IF USING THIS ONE :

DO NOT USE THE HIDDEN ACCOUNT ON A DAILY BASIS! If it corrrups you are TOAST.

How to Enable or Disable the Real Built-in Administrator Account in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67567-administrator-account.html

Use the Hidden Admin Account to lower your account to user APPLY / OK then raise it back to
ADMIN. This helps clear corruption. Do same for other accounts if needed after following the
above message.

You can use the Hidden Admin Account - Make another account as ADMIN with your same
password (or two with same password) use one to test or fix the other.

You can run the Hidden Admin Account command from the Command Prompt from here if needed.

This tells you how to access the System Recovery Options and/or from a Vista DVD
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/326b756b-1601-435e-99d0-1585439470351033.mspx

If you can't access your old account you can still use an Admin to migrate to a new one (remember
to always leave an Admin Account that is unused except to test and fix).

Fix a corrupted user profile - Vista
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
dustmybroom62
Found this helpful 0
dustmybroom62 replied on

I also found the following in my application event log:
Windows cannot copy file C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia...
This was probably due to a recent Flash update that set security on the folder.
My fix was to reset security for all children of the Roaming folder.

mind you, this was for a new account that did not yet have a profile.

fortunately for me, i could still log in with an admin account.

note about using the "hidden" admin account: if you have never logged in using the "hidden" administrator account, it may not have a profile and the issue could remain outside the realm of my fix.

tchk040800
Found this helpful 0
tchk040800 replied on

I followed the method by Malkeleah for the same problem in my Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2.  It works and the account in problem can logon again.

thanks,

tchk0408

Turtlemama
Found this helpful 1
Turtlemama replied on

So what caused this problem for obviously many of us in the first place?
greenbar
Found this helpful 0
greenbar replied on

i dont have Norton. i have Avast, iobit 360, ad-ware, & spybot. i have tried to do a system restore with 3 or 4 different days in safe mode & in safe mode w/ command prompt. everytime i restart my computer i get the message:

system restore did not complete successfully. your computer's system files & settings were not changed. details: the restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.

please help me. i need to restore my computer because i cant log into my account. everytime i put in the password it says: 

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. i found out that if you restore it to a time before then that should solve the user account problem.

I REALLY NEED HELP FIXING THESE 2 PROBLEMS! I HAVE WAYYY TOO MUCH STUFF ON THERE FOR IT TO BE COMPLETELY LOST FOREVER! 
Previous Previous Page of 9 Next Next