RonaldSewell
Had this question 10
Question
RonaldSewell asked on

Trying to open Windows defender, get error "Application failed to initialize 0x80070006 The handle is invalid"

When I try to open Windows Defender I get "Application failed to initialize 0x80070006 The handle is invalid. How do I fix this?
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
PA Bear MS MVP replied on
MVP MCC: Content Creator

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

2. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed on this computer?

3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

4. Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

5. How does this pertain to Internet Explorer?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
RonaldSewell
Found this helpful 1
RonaldSewell replied on

McAfee and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Don't know.

Yes ( Norton)

Yes (Norton)

Yes

I don't know

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

1. What's the full name of the McAfee application (e.g., McAfee Total Protection; McAfee Antivirus Plus; McAfee Security Center) and when does your current subscription expire?

2. Had your Norton subscription (and/or free-trial period) already expired by the time you replaced it with the McAfee application?

3. Did you (a) uninstall the Norton application AND THEN (b) download/run the Norton Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you installed the McAfee application?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
RonaldSewell
Found this helpful 0
RonaldSewell replied on

1. McAfee Internet Security ( I think!) Subscription ends 1-12-2012

2. yes

3. yes, yes, and yes.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

1. When (exact date) did the Norton subscription expire?

2. Are ALL of the following updates listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)?

• KB2479943 [or KB2494132 if Vista MCE TV Pack 2008], KB2482017, KB2483185, KB2485376, KB2393802 & KB2479628

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
RonaldSewell
Found this helpful 0
RonaldSewell replied on

expired on 11/22/2010

All listed updates were installed

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

So you were running for well over a month (i.e., 22 Nov-10 to 12 Jan-11) without a functional anti-virus application installed.

Are you absolutely certain that you ran the Norton Removal Tool (not, e.g., Revo Uninstaller) before you installed the McAfee application?

Has another McAfee application ever been installed on the computer since you bought it?

Are KB2479943 and KB2494132 both listed in Installed Updates?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
RonaldSewell
Found this helpful 0
RonaldSewell replied on

correct

yes

mcafee security scan plus

kb2479943 was insatlled on 3/10/2011, kb2494132 is not on the update list.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

I should have been more specific. Has another McAfee anti-virus application or security suite ever been installed on the computer? (McAfee Security Scan Plus is neither.)

Have you contacted McAfee Support and confirmed that Windows Defender is supposed to be available if McAfee Internet Security is installed? (Many AV apps & security suites disable Defender by default.)

[Between you & me, I wouldn't trust the security of a computer that was running that long without a valid AV app installed, even though all Windows Updates appear to be installed.]

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
RonaldSewell
Found this helpful 0
RonaldSewell replied on

no

Defender was disabled at first but I reinstalled it on the advice of my brother who has a masters in computer science. He told me that McAfee and Defender should "play nice together".

Yep, I hear ya, but it's the only one I have right now!

Thanks

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next