rlv55
Had this question 2
Question
rlv55 asked on

Access Denied when trying to copy folders from a WINDOWS XP hard drive to a Vista Ultimate PC

I need to copy folders from a hard drive from my old Windows XP machine to my new PC running Vista Ultimate. I get 'destrination drive acces denied' and I have tried to take ownership, but to no avail. Is there a step by step approach to do this?

Malkeleah
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Malkeleah replied on
I assume that you have the hard drive in an external enclosure or somehow attached to the new Vista machine and that you're not talking about moving files over the network. If this is correct, you probably have not taken ownership correctly.

To take ownership of a drive:

1. From Computer, right-click the drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to (this would be you).
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK

Or run this at an elevated Command Prompt (will perform action recursively):

takeown /f driveletter:\ /r /d y [enter]
icacls directory_name /grant yourusername:F /t [enter]

To get an elevated command prompt, Start>Search box>type: cmd
When cmd appears in Results above, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator". Provide UAC confirmation and you'll have your elevated command prompt.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!