Windows Media Center / WinTV-HVR-950Q Digital Channels

I just bought a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950Q tuner card.  The software it comes with picks up all my cable channels fine.   But when I go to Windows Media Center it cannot tune to the Digital channels (.1, .2 etc).  I have Time Warner cable and for example my NBC comes in on 2 (Analog) and 24.1 (Digital).  When I go to edit / add any of the digital channels Media Center automatically adds a 1 in the front, which of course that channel doesn't exist in my feed. 

Anyone have any advice on how to add these digital channels to Media Center? 

Answer
Answer

Hi ForrestBates,

·        Which is the operating system installed on the computer?

Digital TV signals supported by Windows Media Center are: ATSC (North America, Korea), QAM (United States), ISDB (Japan), DVB-T (Europe), and DVB-S (Europe and rest of world).

Step 1

Setup digital TV signal in Media Center
Use the following steps to set Media Center to recognize a digital signal.

a. Press Windows Media Center start button .
b. From Windows Media Center, scroll through the choices and select Tasks .
c. Select settings
d. Select TV
e. Select TV Signal
f. Select Set Up TV Signal
g. After confirming your geographical region, Media Center downloads the TV setup options based on the media connections and tuner cards in the computer.
h. Since the options will vary depending on the type of incoming signals and the tuners on your computer, these are some things to look out for:

Step 2

a. There are a variety of digital-to-analog converter boxes, so the Media Center experience varies from box to box.
b. Media Center recognizes the converter box as a set-top box.
c. When setting up the converter box, the TV signal choice in some versions of Media Center is: Cable or Satellite . For setup purposes, the correct choice is Cable .
• Media Center asks for the number of digits for the TV channels: two digits, three digits or four digits.
• When selecting channels, it may be necessary to key in additional zeros at the end of a three- or four-digit number.
• The programming guide shows the channel numbers for cable or satellite, which are inaccurate for the over-the-air antenna. Without the guide for the over-the-air antenna, the recording function is very limited.

TV on your computer: Understanding TV signals and TV tuners
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/TV-on-your-computer-Understanding-TV-signals-and-TV-tuners

TV signals that are supported by Windows Media Center
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/TV-signals-that-are-supported-by-Windows-Media-Center 

You may also access the link below to know more about theWinTV-HVR-950Q and check their support to add the digital TV signal in Windows Media center?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2018 Views 3,470 Applies to: