speakers hooked up but no sound

Hey,

I just bought a new tower with Windows Vista installed and I plugged in my speakers to the back, but they aren't working or playing any sound. When I went to the Sound & Audio category in Control Panel, it said that no audio devices are installed...what do I have to do to have my speakers work?

Please help!

Thanks,
Sara
Answer
Answer

Hi Sara,

• Are you trying to use the Speakers for the first time?

If there is no sound from the speakers, follow the steps below to determine the state of the sound hardware within the Device Manager.

1. Click Start, type device into the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list.

2. Click on Sound, video and game controllers to expand the list of sound devices installed on the computer.

4. Determine if the sound device in question is enabled or disabled.

· If a down arrow displays on the volume icon, the sound device is disabled. Go to Updating sound driver.

· If a down arrow does not display on the volume icon, the sound device is enabled. Go to Verify that the sound device is enabled in Device Manager.

5. Right-click the name of the sound device, and then click Enable. If problems persist, then follow step 6.

6. Right-click the name of the device, select Properties, and then view the message in the Device status field

Step 2: Install an updated audio driver

If you have made any recent changes to the computer, then you may need to update the drivers by following the steps.

1. Click Start, type device into the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list.

2. Click on Sound, video and game controllers in the Device Manager window.

3. Right-click the name of the audio device listed under Sound, video and game controllers, and then click Update Driver Software.

You may also refer the Manufacturer website and download the latest Vista audio drivers

Step 3: Also verify that the default sound device is set correctly

To set the default device, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type Sound in the Start Search box.

2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.

3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers. Make sure that your audio settings are configured as expected. Follow these steps:

a. On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the Default Format is set to the value that you expect. When you finish, close this window to return to the previous window.

b. On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Configure, and then make sure the configurations are set correctly.

If the sound settings are set correctly, you are using speakers as the sound device, and your speakers are already set as the default device, go to method 5 now.

4. Select the sound device that you want as the default sound device, and then click Set Default.

5. Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.

For more information refer the following link:

Tips for fixing common sound problems

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2022 Views 4,167 Applies to: