Sound & Media - Using Windows WMP 11 version, Trying to play .MP3 file, Giving error message C00D10D1, & Telling Microsoft MPEG-1(50) Codec is Missing

I have a .MP3 file which I tried to play on my Vista system Windows Media player 11. It gave me the message An audio codec is needed to play this file.  it gives me a message sayinng Codec is missing. Microsoft MPEG-1(50) codec is not installed on your computer. You have encountered error message C00D10D1 while using windows Media Player. It might be available in WMPlugins.com. I tried WMPlugins but I can't resolve the problem and I can't play this .MP3 file song. I just got the latest computer with I-7 Intel, operating system Vista premium home Edition and Widowa Media Player 11. I spent several hours but no success. Please help. Thanks.. Dave 
Dave Taylor

Hi David1460,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Windows Vista answers forum.

The error message that you are getting is due to the missing codecs for Windows Media Player.

Follow the steps as below to re-register l3codeca.acm file.

1.     Click Start and then type in the command as below and press enter:

regsvr32.exe l3codeca.acm

2.     Open Windows Media Player and check if the issue is fixed.

If the above mentioned steps does not work then follow these steps:

1.     Open "Computer" and browse the following location:

C:\Windows\System32\

2.     Look for the file with name l3codeca.acm and rename it to l3codeca.bak

3.     Open Windows Media Player and click on Help and then click on Updates.

Note: This will re-download the decoder and place a new copy on your system.

You may also try installing the codec pack for Windows media Player from the link below:
Codec Installation Packages for IT Professionals:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/format/codecdownload.aspx

Please let us know if it helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Santosh - I tried all the options you suggested. None worked for me. The last one to rename to .bak file does not work. It does not allow to change the extention to .bak file. It goes back to .acm file. Also, please note that I am running windows Media Player version 11. And the last option of installing Codec pack for windows media player did not work for my system. None of the updates dowloads  for Codec are listed for Vista and WMP version 11. So, none of these dowloads are working for me. I tried version 10 , with hope that it may work. But it won't. I don't know any more what else to do. My songs still do not play. Please help. If I need to talk to a live person, give me the phone no. to call. Please reply. Thanks...   Dave
Dave Taylor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Dave

You can try doing a system file to ensure there are no corrupt system files by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. In the Command Prompt type the following command and press enter: SFC /SCANNOW

If that doesn’t find any errors, try using another account. If you do not have a second one, you can create one by going to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Safety, User Accounts, Manage another account, click Create a new user and enter the desired information. After you create the new account, login to it and check if you still get the error.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Santosh

I am also facing the same problem for running .mp3 files in media player 11 on Vista OS. I had tried to use your suggestion, but i was surprised when i hadnt seen l3codeca.acm file windows 32 folder. I had downloded the exe for this and had executed that. but still unable to see this file. let me know any other way to do this...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2022 Views 4,180 Applies to: