jpkeefe
Had this question 13
Question
jpkeefe asked on

Error when trying to open a Windows Movie Maker . mswmm file: cannot open because it is not a valid windows movie maker project file

HELP! Says file does cannot be openend, .mswmm file, but the program made the movie.

I used the Windows Make a Movie, I scanned 458 photos, made my storybook, etc with music- took a month... I "published" it and now when I go to open it it says " cannot open because it is not a valid windows movie maker project file? But movie maker made it, now I can't open it at all, it has a .mswmm as the file extension!! Help, it's a gift for my Dad who is going to be 70 and I don't have another month to make it again!!!

Volunteer J
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

hi, I'm having a similar problem but have 1 clue as to why I can't open my .mswmm file. I have two xp machines, running sp3 but one is pro and one is home edition if that matters.

the file.mswmm i'm trying to open was created on version of moviemaker 2.1.4028.0 and it still works fine on that machine. On the xp pro machine it's windows movie maker 2.1.4026.0.

So I'm going to try to move the movie maker 28 to my other machine as I have many files created with the 28 i want to be able to edit on this other machine.

=============================================
The .mswmm project file is best used on the system that created it
because it requires that all the source files...Movie clips, Photos, Music
files...still be available in the original locations.

Moving from one computer to another can work if you also move copies
of all the source files. When you first open the .mswmm file you will see 
Red Xs instead of the source thumbnails but if you right click the Red Xs
you may be able to browse to the new location of the source files and re-
establish the path.

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***
David Vinod
Found this helpful 1
David Vinod replied on

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers community.

On which operating system was the Movie maker file created? On which operating system are you trying to open the file?

The error that you are getting might happen due to one of the reasons mentioned below.

1) A .mswmm file created on a Vista machine is not

compatible with Win XP.

2) The .mswmm file is the Movie Maker Project file

only useful for re-opening in Movie Maker for re-editing

purposes. It does not include the source files photos,

videos, music it simply records the path to the original

locations the files were imported from on the machine

it was created on..

3) The creator of this project needs to Publish (save)

it in a Movie Format (.wmv or .avi) if it is to be shared

with others. The following articles may be useful to the

creator of the project.

To know more about Window movie maker and the ways to use it, refer the links given below.

Getting started with Windows Movie Maker

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Getting-started-with-Windows-Movie-Maker

Publish a movie in Windows Movie Maker
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Publish-a-movie-in-Windows-Movie-Maker

Windows Movie Maker collections: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Movie-Maker-collections-frequently-asked-questions

Let us know if this helps

Regards
Sreekanth.

jpkeefe
Found this helpful 0
jpkeefe replied on

Okay- My Operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium and my movie maker just says Windows Movie Maker- no version etc...
I can see the video file in my videos folder, but it does not allow me to reopen it,  The Movie Maker created this file, so why can't I go back in and look at it again!!

It says cannot open because it is not a valid Windows Movie Maker Project file.
c:\users\jojo\videos\joepotts70.mswmm...

Is there a way I can convert it to a file I can open and edit.. I didn't even get to save to a DVD or CD yet, I just published so I could watch it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Volunteer J
Found this helpful 0
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

Okay- My Operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium and my movie maker just says Windows Movie Maker- no version etc...
I can see the video file in my videos folder, but it does not allow me to reopen it,  The Movie Maker created this file, so why can't I go back in and look at it again!!

It says cannot open because it is not a valid Windows Movie Maker Project file.
c:\users\jojo\videos\joepotts70.mswmm...

Is there a way I can convert it to a file I can open and edit.. I didn't even get to save to a DVD or CD yet, I just published so I could watch it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
========================================
When you "Publish" a project...the result is a .wmv movie file...
The .mswmm file is just the project file...useful only for re-editing
purposes and cannot be converted to a different format.

Just wondering...if you double left click the .mswmm file...does
it launch Movie Maker?

Info on Publishing:

Windows Vista -
Publish a movie in
Windows Movie Maker
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Publish-a-movie-in-Windows-Movie-Maker

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience
jpkeefe
Found this helpful 0
jpkeefe replied on

Yes it launches movie maker and then  and then says....c\users\jojovideos\joepotts70.mswmm cannot be opened because it is not a valid windows movie maker project file.. Meanwhile, movie maker made it... so confusing,  I just want to see it again and save to another cd, but I can't even get it to play...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Volunteer J
Found this helpful 0
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

Yes it launches movie maker and then  and then says....c\users\jojovideos\joepotts70.mswmm cannot be opened because it is not a valid windows movie maker project file.. Meanwhile, movie maker made it... so confusing,  I just want to see it again and save to another cd, but I can't even get it to play...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

=============================
Just a question...have you changed anything
about your system since you first created the
.mswmm file? Are you still running the same
version of Movie Maker?

There is one thing you could try but I doubt
that it will solve this issue. Open Movie Maker
and go to...Tools / Options / Compatibility tab
and uncheck all the filters / OK. Try again to
import the .mswmm file.

It sounds like your .mswmm file is corrupt and
as far as I know the only solution would be to
start over. Since you already have your scans...
it shouldn't take as long as it did the first time.

The format of your source files may have
contributed to the corruption.

Many formats are reportedly compatible with
Movie Maker but the most reliable choices are:

Photos -  bmp
Video -  wmv or dv-avi
Music -  wma, wav, wmv
John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - Proceed at your own risk
jpkeefe
Found this helpful 0
jpkeefe replied on

no, i haven't changed anything, and guess what I can't open the CD on my DVD player or any other computer.. I get the same message... it's crazy1
OK I am going to try what you said and maybe it will work, if not, back to the beginning...

Thanks
Volunteer J
Found this helpful 0
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

no, i haven't changed anything, and guess what I can't open the CD on my DVD player or any other computer.. I get the same message... it's crazy1
OK I am going to try what you said and maybe it will work, if not, back to the beginning...

Thanks
===========================
Let us know how it goes.
John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - Proceed at your own risk
pennyba
Found this helpful 0
pennyba replied on

I am having the exact same problem, with no luck.  Unchecked all the filters, still doesn't recognize the .mswmm file it just created via publish.
Volunteer J
Found this helpful 0
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

I am having the exact same problem, with no luck.  Unchecked all the filters, still doesn't recognize the .mswmm file it just created via publish.
=============================
I wonder if the format of the source files
could be an issue?

Just as an experiment...could you import one
.bmp photo into Movie Maker, drag it to the
timeline and save the project? 

Then try to open the .mswmm file by going
to the folder it is saved in and double left click
it. Movie Maker should launch...

Cody C.
Found this helpful 0
Cody C. replied on
Microsoft

Reply In reply to deleted message

Nothing0829,

Please note that posting SPAM in any Microsoft forum violates the Code of Conduct. Kindly read the document and adhere to its policies. We have deleted  the posts in question, but please know that you risk being banned from posting in all Microsoft forums if violation continues. Thank you for your cooperation

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next