richj44
Had this question 25
Question
richj44 asked on

Can I import MPEG-4 files into Windows Movie Maker in Windows Vista?

Windows Media Player 11 recognizes and plays MPEG-4 just fine but WMM doesn't recognize them.  I would like to import some MPEG-4 files into Movie Maker and work with them - is there a codecs or something that allows this? 

I'm sure I can find a program to convert MP4 into a format MM will recognize but if possible I'd like to just skip the conversion step and work with MP4 directly in MM.

Thanks!
Volunteer J
Found this helpful 5
Answer
Volunteer J replied on
MVP
Windows Media Player 11 recognizes and plays MPEG-4 just fine but WMM doesn't recognize them.  I would like to import some MPEG-4 files into Movie Maker and work with them - is there a codecs or something that allows this? 

I'm sure I can find a program to convert MP4 into a format MM will recognize but if possible I'd like to just skip the conversion step and work with MP4 directly in MM.

Thanks!
====================================================
Movie Maker is not compatible with MP4 files...
best bet would be to convert them to .wmv.

The following freebie might be worth a try:

Format Factory
http://www.pcfreetime.com/

All to MP4 / 3GP / MPG / AVI / WMV / FLV / SWF.
All to MP3 / WMA / AMR / OGG / AAC / WAV.
All to JPG / BMP / PNG / TIF / ICO / GIF / TGA.

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***
Orbilin
Found this helpful 4
Orbilin replied on

First I installed Windows Live Movie Maker (under Windows Vista), and it would not recognize my MP4 files. After some surfing I decided to bow my head and convert my files before importing. I installed Format Factory from pcfreetime. Guess what? Windows Live Movie Maker suddenly recognized my MP4 files, without conversion, and I was able to trim and collate as desired. A streak of luck :)
Tionator
Found this helpful 0
Tionator replied on

But how did it recognize it?
I have the same problem.
Pete687
Found this helpful 0
Pete687 replied on
My MPEG-4 and.3gp video files were downloaded to my Vista 32-bit PC from memory card, taken from cellphone.
I had the same problem after uninstalling Nokia PC Suite: neither of these formats were recognised by Windows Media Player or Windows Movie Maker.
Re-installing Nokia PC Suite solved the problem immediately: both MPEG-4 & .3gp formats accepted in WMP and WMM.
I suggest downloading drivers/applications from the manufacturers (usually free) of the cellphone/camera.
These appear to contain the necessary codecs for the video format which they produce.

- - - - - - -
3Mmm
Found this helpful 0
3Mmm replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Your suggestion might be helpful, but it is hard to tell because the free download is sooooo limited it can not be tested which means you have to buy it to try it. 

So, beware before downloading ... it isn't a full, real trial (unless I was doing something terribly wrong)

Volunteer J
Found this helpful 1
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

Your suggestion might be helpful, but it is hard to tell because the free download is sooooo limited it can not be tested which means you have to buy it to try it. 

So, beware before downloading ... it isn't a full, real trial (unless I was doing something terribly wrong)

================================
This one is actually free:

Format Factory
http://www.pcfreetime.com/

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
HowShouldI
Found this helpful 0
HowShouldI replied on

But how did it recognize it?
I have the same problem.

Don't know how... can't be luck it worked for me!!.....Installed Windows Live Movie Maker (WLMM) on Win7.  Mp4, from camera phone, would open and run video in WLMM but with no audio......... both audio and video would work in Live Picture Gallery. Asked and checked around with no joy so decided to try Format Factory, as suggested by Orbilin and Volunteer J. above, to convert files.

After install there was no immediate change, so converted one file to wmv and opened in WLMM. This proved only partially succesfull, the file was foreshortened for some reason. However I then retried origional MP4 files in WLMM without conversion....and they loaded and ran in vision... and sound!!.  The why or how I leave to more advanced minds other than the obvious that there is something in FF that is missing from WLMM.  For me, problem solved..... with many thanks for the contributions above. 

Aksama
Found this helpful 0
Aksama replied on

Likely because the converter contained a codec of some sort which allows WMM to read mp4s
Volunteer J
Found this helpful 0
Volunteer J replied on
MVP

Likely because the converter contained a codec of some sort which allows WMM to read mp4s
=========================================================
One thing is certain...there is no "one-size-fits-all" answer when it comes to video editing.

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
miccheck79
Found this helpful 0
miccheck79 replied on

format factory is free and works great thanks for freeware alot of people dont have to pay for alot of software.
Previous Previous Page of 5 Next Next