ceecee1
Had this question 6
Question
ceecee1 asked on

unable to download (or open e-mail attachments), using Vista

If I try to download anything at all, I get the download box opening and the 'file transfer' display shows, the process bar goes across as if everything is working OK and then nothing!  (wherever I try to save it to it just disappears)
I have tried to download things with AVG turned off, with IE without add ons but still no luck.
Equally I can download e-mails with attachments but the attachments refuse to open.

Can you suggest anything that I can try please (and please answer as if you are speaking to an idiot !  where computers are concerned I am indeed an idiot !!!)  I dont even know if I have listed in the correct forum?

Thanks for any help that you can give me

Kath

I have just tried to download IE8 as this was suggested in another forum.  I cant find that file either once the download has completed.

Rami - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rami - Support Engineer replied on

ceecee1,
Please test to see if this issue occurs in another newly created user profile. Here are the steps:
  1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel , clicking User Accounts and Family Safety , and then clicking User Accounts .
  2. Click Manage another account . If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click Create a new account .
  4. Type the name you want to give the user account, choose account type as Computer Administrator , and then click Create Account .
  5. Log off and log on with the new account.
  6. Test the same conditions in this profile.

(To remove the test profile follow the above steps and choose to remove the account from User Accounts).

If the new one works and you find out you have a corrupt profile, take the steps listed in the following article to copy your data over to the new one: Fix a corrupted user profile

Rami
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Rami
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us
Don M Independant Support Tech
Found this helpful 0
Don M Independant Support Tech replied on

Hi ceeJ

Let me make sure I understand. You can’t find the download once there done? Or is your computer telling you they are downloading then they just lock up? Is the computer giving you any kind of error (if so please put in the error)?

As for as the IE8, it will down load AND install all in one move, unless you did a manual download from the Microsoft download site. If you did, you need to pay attention to where the download is going and then you can get to it from there.

I can tell you that, by default Windows Vista downloads in to your “Profile Downloads” folder.

Check it out and let us know what’s going on.

Thank you for the post.

Don
Don Maxwell - Support Engineer Microsoft Answers Support Engeer Visit http://social.answers.microsof
ceecee1
Found this helpful 0
ceecee1 replied on

Sorry - I've not explained myself very well....Anything that I try to download (a game, and update of maps for a satnav, IE8, open a PDG file from the internet etc) I click onto the download (or open) button and a then get an option to run or save.  I have tried both options to no avail. 

If I choose to save I then get a choice of where to save, I have tried the download folder, desktop, a folder that I have created for downloads.
The programme starts to download and appears to fully complete but it never goes anywhere. 

If I try to open an attachment to an email I do get a message asking me to check my disc space (I have about 164 gig free so there isn;t a problem).  Attachments to e-mails do not open at all.

Is that explanation any better ?

Rami - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rami - Support Engineer replied on

ceecee1,
Please test to see if this issue occurs in another newly created user profile. Here are the steps:
  1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel , clicking User Accounts and Family Safety , and then clicking User Accounts .
  2. Click Manage another account . If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click Create a new account .
  4. Type the name you want to give the user account, choose account type as Computer Administrator , and then click Create Account .
  5. Log off and log on with the new account.
  6. Test the same conditions in this profile.

(To remove the test profile follow the above steps and choose to remove the account from User Accounts).

If the new one works and you find out you have a corrupt profile, take the steps listed in the following article to copy your data over to the new one: Fix a corrupted user profile

Rami
Rami
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us
andromb
Found this helpful 0
andromb replied on

Hi - I am having a very similar problem.
  1. click an attachment on a Yahoo email message
  2. 'open or save', click either
  3. download manager gets about 97% of the file and then hangs; (top bar message refers to 'verifying')
  4. you cannot cancel or exit - only task manager kills it
  5. if you had selected 'download' the complete file is on the Desktop and can be opened (even with the download manager hanging)
I've updated to IE8 and all Vista updates are current, but the problem remains. I am now in the process of uninstalling the Dell supplied expired version of Norton Internet Security (not used) - AVG free version is in use.

I have not yet tried the new user account approach hoping that someone has a solution.

Thanks!
andromb
Found this helpful 0
andromb replied on

Problem solved! It was the inactive, expired Norton Internet Security that was the problem. It was a bear to remove and required an additional removal tool directly from Norton.
zwenwen
Found this helpful 0
zwenwen replied on

Hi Rami,

Thanks for posting the solution. I tried the suggested process and it is still not working . This also applied to my firefox browser. I am using AT&T Internet Secuirty Suite. Should this be a problem ? I doubt it as I have it for a long time before the problem start to happen last month.

By the way, I am using IE8 and have uninstalled all Sept WINDOWNS update ( Not Office )

Your attention and support is much appreciated !
SpiritX MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Hi,

Make another account with your same password - set it to ADMIN Level - REBOOT (do not just logoff) and
logon to that account - can you download using it? (make two ADMIN accounts - one in case you have to
migrate to it and another to test and fix).

While in the new account use it to LOWER your regular account APPLY / OK as needed - and then raise it back
to ADMIN - repeat a few times - lower - raise - go back in lower - raise - repeat. This helps to clear corruption.
Make sure you leave the account as Admin.

Try your downloads in the new account.

If needed later this is process to fix a corrupted account or migrate to a new one.

Fix a corrupted user profile
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-AU/help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then logon to the old account and try these to clear corruption and repair/replace damaged/missing system files.

Run DiskCleanup - Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup

Start - type this in Search Box ->  COMMAND   find at top and RIGHT CLICK  -  RUN AS ADMIN

Enter this at the prompt - sfc /scannow

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program
generates in Windows Vista cbs.log
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Run checkdisk - schedule it to run at next start and then Apply OK your way out then restart.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

--------------------

Start - in search box type ->    command

at top of list find COMMAND - RIGHT CLICK on it - RUN AS ADMIN

Type the following commands (or copy and paste one at a time), each followed by pressing enter.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int reset all

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

REBOOT

That resets your TCP/IP stack

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then reset IE

What antivirus/antispyware/security product do you have on machine? Include any you have EVER has on this
machines including those you uninstalled (they leave remnants behind which causes issues).

Start - All Programs - Accessores - System Tools - IE with no Addons - does this work better?

IE - Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - click Restore Advanced Settings and then click RESET - APPLY / OK

IE - Tools - Internet Options - Security Tab - click Reset all zones - APPLY / OK

Close and restart IE and/or IE with no addons

Start - All Programs - Accessores - System Tools - IE with no Addons - does this work better?

IE - Tools - Manage Addons (for sure disable SSV2 if it is there, this is no longer needed but Java still installs it
and it causes issues - you ever update Java go back in and disable it again.) Look for other possible problems.

Windows Defender - Tools - Software Explorer - look for issues with programs that do not look right. Permitted
are usually OK and "not permitted" are not always bad. If in doubt about a program ask about it here.

Could be a BHO - BHOremover - Free - standalone program, needs no install, download and run - not all
are bad however some can cause your issue. (Toolbars are BHO's)
http://securityxploded.com/bhoremover.php

Startup Programs
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79612-startup-programs-enable-disable.html

Also get Malwarebytes - free - use as scanner only. If you ever suspect malware UPDATE it and then run it as
a scanner. 
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Hope this helps.

Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
zwenwen
Found this helpful 0
zwenwen replied on

Bob,

I really appreciate your input . I did the following and pls advise .

1. Make another account with your same password - set it to ADMIN Level - REBOOT (do not just logoff) and
logon to that account - can you download using it? (make two ADMIN accounts - one in case you have to
migrate to it and another to test and fix).        

-       Still not working

2. Reset IP & IE

3. Start - All Programs - Accessores - System Tools - IE with no Addons - does this work better?

I got this message
Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons
  All Internet Explorer add-ons, such as ActiveX controls or toolbars, are turned off. Some webpages might not display correctly.
Does this mean it works or not ?

Appreciate again for your input
SpiritX MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Hi,

Its Rob......

It means Without Addon starts up.... please continue to work down the list.
Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.