Trying to expand c drive with unallocated space in diskpart.exe - I keep getting message that there is not enough space. what am I doing wrong?

Diskpart.exe help - not enough space  - I have over 5 Gb of unallocated space. trying to expand C: drive
Answer
Answer
Hello mark_kman,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers Community.

It sounds as though you have multiple partitions. Disk Management and DiskPart Extends the volume with focus into the next contiguous unallocated space. For basic volumes, the unallocated space must be on the same disk as, and must follow (have a higher sector offset number than) the partition with focus.

If you are looking at Disk Management, this means, if you are looking at your C: partition the unallocated space MUST be located directly to the right of that C: partition. If you have another partition in between, you will only be allowed to extend the partition directly to the left of the unallocated space.

This could be a work around, if you have C: and D:, and have files on D: but have extra space.

- Shrink D: to create just enough unallocated space to store your files that are on D:.
   - Create a new partition with the unallocated space to move your files to.
   - Move your files from D: to the new partition.
   - Now delete the D: partition

This creates unallocated space between your C: partition and the new partition that you created to move your files to.

- Now right-click on your C: partition and extend like normal.

Hope this helps

Chris.H
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2023 Views 25,404 Applies to: