Sony Vaio won't go past microsoft corporation screen(green bar scrolling from left to right) on the road need help.

Last night my sony vaio model VGN-AW110J(running vista) froze and didn't respond to the task manager so after a hard restart it would freeze upon attempting to open any programs.  After struggling with this for a while.  I went to the vaio recovery program(in safe mode) and restored the c: drive to the factory settings.  After the c: drive was restored and the computer was doing its initial set up/update download it froze again.  After struggling a while more, I attempted to go into safe mode again and atttempt the restore again.  Now my sony vaio won't go past the microsoft corp loading screen.  I even tried pressing F8 before windows tried to load and the furthest it gets before stopping is scrolling files across the screen and a please wait.....at the bottom of the screen.  It seems only the worst of problems happen when you need your computer most, any help would be appreciated.

edit*  changed the model number, first one was incorrect
Answer
Answer
Hello Sgt Sal,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Vista Forums.

Sorry you are experiencing this issue!  Do you have your installation disk for Windows Vista or recovery disk(s)?  I would suggest first performing an SFC scan if you can log into Safe Mode.

If no luck,  I would suggest performing a startup repair.  Startup Repair is a Windows Vista recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. When you run Startup Repair, it scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer manufacturer has preinstalled recovery options, Startup Repair might also be installed on your hard disk. If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

Running the System File Checker

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.

3.     In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

4.     You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification % complete.

5.     Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

…found no integrity violations

found corruption but repaired it

found corruption that it could not repair

6.     Please reply with the completion message that you received.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx#EI

James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2021 Views 5,519 Applies to: