Should I create pagefile on ramdisk with my new SSD?

Hi,

Got my new SSD which is the only disk in my system now. To avoid heavy writing on this drive I have purchased Superspeed Ramdisk plus (IE temp files etc). I have Windows Vista Business 32 bit with 4Gb ram. The Ramdisk software is able to use the 512-1024 ram that Vista cant use. Also, this software can serialize ramdisk content so that it IS possible to run the pagefile here.

I only use this laptop for office applications so I'm never near to max out the virtual memory.

So, should I create my pagefile on a Ramdisk? And if yes, would it be enough with 512Mb pagefile? Will Vista let me define this setting or create pagefile on my boot drive regardless of my settings?

EDIT: Just for the clarification and the difference from this thread and 1000 others, my concern here is the constant writing in the pagefile on my SSD. Not the small (if any) gain the pagefile in Ram would produce...

--
Answer
Answer
SSD? Nice.

I would try and run the pagefile from the Ramdisk to test it out, depending on your needs you might have to go to the SSD.  However, you should have the system manage that anyways.  You might want to modify it, but for now, since the system is new with plenty of RAM, test out how the Ramdisk pagefile works if it doesn't work for you.  You can always use the standard configuration in having the pagefile managed by the system on the drive.

Unfortunatly I am not too familiar with the Ramdisk software and of course:

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE DISCLAIMER

Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Edgar
Microsoft Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Edgar
Microsoft Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know w

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2019 Views 36,107 Applies to: