Processes-80+ running after reformat!

Acer 6920 Vista Home, SP1
This is nuts!
All applications, crashing, hanging, etc... Services anywhere from 80 to 100+ with up to 100% at least half the time. Boot in safe mode shows 20 processes.
After months and months playing with services, removing every last bit of unnecessary software, even if I liked it I finally quit and reformatted. ON FIRST BOOT with only pre-loads on board, first thing I do is open task manager and there it is 78 processes running. again uninstalled the stupid pre-load junk, disable or manual on most services, to no avail.

No viruses, per three diffierent antivirus. Run AVG (purchased). I'm even set up to prevent intenet connection from running unless I manually connect.scared to even load office back on this thing.

Please help. I haven't sat at my computer once in months without having to trouble shoot something! Manufacturer keep giving the same answer...Re-format.

Now what?

Thanks
Answer
Answer

Sophia,

Looking at the log you supplied I can see that there are several processes starting up and running that will definitely take up your resources.

Let's see if we can walk through them together one by one and if it becomes overwhelming let us know and we'll see what we can do.

BTW your system specifications should provide for smooth performance so what you are experiencing is most likely related to the following startup tasks:

Disable Sidebar:

Click Start -> in Start Search type Sidebar Properties, click on it. A window will open, at the top you will see a check box with the title: Start Sidebar when Windows starts, uncheck this and click OK.

Disable Welcome Center:

Click Start -> in Start Search type Welcome Center, click on it. A window will open, at the bottom left you will see a check box with the title: Run at Startup, uncheck this and close the window.

Next let's reset your Internet Explorer, this will remove any extra toolbars that have been installed which slow your browsers loading time:

1. Open Internet Explorer
  2. Click Tools, click Internet Options
  3. Select the Advanced tab
  4. Click Reset…
  5. Read and Confirm the notice, click OK
  6. Restart your Internet Explorer

I highly recommend you disable AIM from starting up, you can do this manually from the options inside the program, look for a box or an option that refers to Run on Windows Startup and uncheck it or disable it.

Optionally you can disable the following task from MSCONFIG if the previous is not enough of a performance change, they are listed in order of priority:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.)
  2. Click on the Startup tab.
  3. Here, Uncheck the following items to disable them from starting up
  4. Aim6 (If you have not disabled it from the program)
  5. Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
  6. Microsoft Office OneNote
  7. Persistence
  8. Click OK, when prompted Restart.
  9. Compare your system performance.

Disable Acer startups:

It looks like Acer Arcade Deluxe is on multiple listing in the running processes, you can check this program to see if you use it, and uninstall it otherwise.

You can also provide a list of installed programs for a recommendation of the level of priority if you would like to uninstall any.

Hope this helps, Let me know your result, next thing we can do is change your theme to disable Aero and that would improve your performance more, of course you would be sacrificing the enhanced look so we will take this step only when necessary.

Rami
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Rami

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2020 Views 6,084 Applies to: