Multiple Winlogon.exe processes running

I have a Vista 64 Ultimate install and as days go by, my memory utilization continues to climb.  Checking Task Manager, I find that I have 8-10+ instances of Winlogon.exe running (only 4 users are defined on the machine; all logged off except me).  I can manually kill them or reboot the machine to reduce my memory utilization, but after 3-4 days I have the same problem again.  Please help!
Answer
Answer

Hi Ron,

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Perform an online virus scan

Sometimes malware, spyware, adware, Trojan or viruses commonly hide behind the mask of Winlogon.exe consuming all the system resources. So, I would suggest you to perform a complete virus scan on your computer. Visit the link below for the same.

Windows Live OneCare safety scanner is a free service designed to help ensure the health of your PC.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Step 2: Perform a clean boot

You can also try performing a clean boot to see if any third party services are causing this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Once the troubleshooting is done, reset the computer to start as usual.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 7,549 Applies to: