Hibernation takes a long time.

I recently got a new laptop, and for the first week or so, the time it took to hibernate was quick.  Various programs and updates were installed, and now it takes 2-3x more time to complete the same process.  Wake up from hibernation in both cases has stayed fast.  I've tried disabling and enabling hibernation and I've deleted the hibernation file to make Vista create a new one, and the first time after that process hibernation is fast again, but after that it goes back to its process of just sitting there with no hdd access for 10-15 seconds before turning off.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Answer
Answer
Callum - I've had this problem recently, and write caching needs to be enabled.  (The difference in speed is pretty drastic - it's not the usual story of the registry gradually kludging up.)

Anyway, Randomg, Right-click C drive (assuming Windows is installed on C), Properties, Hardware tab, choose the hard drive that represents C, Poperties again, Policies tab, Enable write caching.

Sorted?

R.

PS - I found the answer through TVWKSE (that very well-known search engine):  http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hibernate+%22takes+a+long+time%22+OR+%22takes+ages

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2023 Views 14,352 Applies to: