Fledd99
Had this question 5
Question
Fledd99 asked on

CHKDSK not completing

I've been trying to run chkdsk for the past several days with no success.  I'm running it with the /f /r switches.  

The error message I receive is:
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
360896 file records processed.
File verification complete
Deleting orphan file record segment 141083
readable file record segment 141083 is not writable
Windows has finished checking the disk.

Then the machine boots to Windows.

I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thanks
Fledd
Linney
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Linney replied on
MVP

Have you tried running it out of the Windows environment?  If you have an install DVD that you can boot to (or a Startup Repair option via the F8 Safe Mode screen), try launching the Command Prompt from the options provided when you go down the Startup Repair path.

Do not perform the Startup Repair, just look for, and go to the option for the Command Prompt (from the Choose a Recovery Tool dialog), and try running Chkdsk from within that.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx#EHF

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial147.html

Brian--
Found this helpful 0
Brian-- replied on

Hi Fledd99,

Try the following:

1.       Click Start

2.       Double-click Computer

3.       Right-click the disk that you are wanting to check, and then click Properties

4.       Under the Tools tab click Check Now located under the “Error-checking” category

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5.       Under “Check disk options”, check Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

6.       Click Start

Let us know the results. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Brian
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Brian
Fledd99
Found this helpful 0
Fledd99 replied on

Brian,
I executed the steps you suggested and the program bailed out prior to it finishing; no error messages, no dialog boxes stating what went on.  I would imagine that since it is calling chkdsk, it bailed out at the same step as when chkdsk is run from the command prompt.

I ran  SpinRite on the disk and all sectors come back as readable and writeable.

An interesting note is that when I restore the machine to factory defaults from my other partition, this error goes away.  I can run chkdsk and it runs through all stages (1-5) and all is well with the disk. (I don't necessarily want to go this way and reinstall all my programs....)

I use Windows Home Server for my backups, and these have been going well until this last Friday when this orphaned file issue came up.  I went back a week and restored my machine, and the orphaned file issue was still present.  I have even reformatted (not quick format) the disk prior to being restored.  Needless to say, I can't perform any backups until I can get this issue resolved.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Fledd

Rami--
Found this helpful 0
Rami-- replied on

Fledd99, Lets try running chkdsk without fixing or recovering any sectors, do the following:  
  1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
  3. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER: Chkdsk
  4. When the test is complete, click on the icon at the top left portion of the window, click Edit, then click Select All, press Enter key.
  5. Paste the content into your reply by pressing CTRL+V on your Keyboard.

Rami
Rami
Linney
Found this helpful 0
Linney replied on
MVP

This is an old article and probably wont do much for you solution wise, but it might give you something to consider?

NTFS Directory Corruption with Frequent File Creation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/169404

See if the Fsutil command can do anything for you?

Vista Backup error 0x80071A91 and/or failed Windows Updates
http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/alexark/Blog/archive/2007/03/15/vista-backup-error-0x80071a91-andor-failed-windows-updates.aspx

Vista's FSUTIL Command
http://itsvista.com/2007/03/fsutil/

You can determine whether your file system errors are legitimate.
To know if you've got a file system error, you can type the following
command at the command prompt:

fsutil dirty query c: (replace c: with your drive letter)

I have anecdotal evidence that ChkDsk in Vista is a bit buggy and no longer trust it other than as a last resort.  I always run it in read-only mode before allowing it to change anything on the hard drive, and I keep plenty of backup images.

Is ChkDsk still a worry when run in Vista?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/thread/73df6210-7818-45fc-b9e6-d266541b96ae/

Fledd99
Found this helpful 0
Fledd99 replied on

Rami here is the output:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  360896 file records processed.
File verification completed.
File record segment 141083 is an orphan.
  663 large file records processed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Windows\system32>
Fledd
Linney
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Linney replied on
MVP

Have you tried running it out of the Windows environment?  If you have an install DVD that you can boot to (or a Startup Repair option via the F8 Safe Mode screen), try launching the Command Prompt from the options provided when you go down the Startup Repair path.

Do not perform the Startup Repair, just look for, and go to the option for the Command Prompt (from the Choose a Recovery Tool dialog), and try running Chkdsk from within that.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx#EHF

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial147.html

ParagSakhare
Found this helpful 0
ParagSakhare replied on

Fledd99, Lets try running chkdsk without fixing or recovering any sectors, do the following:  
  1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
  3. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER: Chkdsk
  4. When the test is complete, click on the icon at the top left portion of the window, click Edit, then click Select All, press Enter key.
  5. Paste the content into your reply by pressing CTRL+V on your Keyboard.

Rami

Hi, can you please solve the following issue which is coming on my windows 7 os laptop.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
 7 percent complete. (180992 of 258560 file records processed)
Attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 193006
is corrupt.
 8 percent complete. (206848 of 258560 file records processed)
Attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 226128
is corrupt.
Attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 228291
is corrupt.
Attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 228292
is corrupt.
  258560 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  504 large file records processed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Windows\system32>
Linney
Found this helpful 0
Linney replied on
MVP

See if you can run it NOT in Read-only mode.

When you run  ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.  By not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode)  which only flags any hard drive or file problems.  You correct errors by ticking both boxes, and allowing  it to attempt to fix any found problems.