"The data area passed to a system call is too small" error message when trying to link paypal with itunes store

I am attempting to set up my billing preference in the iTunes Store to my Paypal account.  The process takes me to Paypal and then at the end should allow me to go back to the iTunes Store. After clicking on "Return to iTunes Store" the page tries to load and then stops.

This error message is in my taskbar: (using Internet Explorer as my default browser when I get this message)

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; MEGAUPLOAD 3.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:00:58 UTC

Message: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

Line: 6
Char: 104793
Code: 0
URI: https://buy.itunes.apple.com/htmlResources/CC7A/web-storefront-preview.jsz

This is using Internet Explorer as my default browser. I normally use FireFox, but Firefox blocks the return to the iTunes Store, as well.

I've contacted both Paypal (no problems there with my account or their system) and Apple Support (they can't seem to figure this out -- appears to be either an OS or Browser problem to them.)  Nothing seems to work. I'm hoping you can help me resolve this issue. The browser appears to be blocking the return to the iTunes Store so I can finalize the payment change to Paypal. I've turned off the Windows firewall and my anti-virus. Did not make any difference.

Thank you!

Hi Grantsaunt,

Check if theScript error debugging and notifications are turned off. If it’s turned on turn off and check if it helps you fix the issue.

If they have been turned on, follow these steps to turn them off again.

a.    Open Internet Explorer by clicking theStart button. In the search box, typeInternet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

b.   Click theTools button, and then clickInternet Options.

c.    Click theAdvanced tab, select the Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) andDisable script debugging (Other) check boxes.

d.   Clear theDisplay a notification about every script error check box, and then clickOK.

Access the link below to know more about “What should you do about Internet Explorer script errors?”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-should-you-do-about-Internet-Explorer-script-errors

If the above steps do not help, you may try to reset Internet Explorer settings on your computer and check if it helps you fix the issue. Access the link below and follow the steps to reset Internet Explorer Settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Check if Internet Explorer works fine and if you can access the websites.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried all this but still get the same ...I even downloaded the newest version of Itunes 10.1.1

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 00:03:41 UTC

Message: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

Line: 6
URI: https://buy.itunes.apple.com/htmlResources/CC7A/web-storefront-preview.jsz

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Srinivas R:

Thanks for the answer but unfortunately none of your suggestions worked.  Disabling script debugging did remove the alert in my taskbar.  I also got a "Security Warning:  Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?  This webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could compromise the security of the entire webpage." Then, I am instructed to select "Yes" or "No." Which should I select?   I also get a "Webpage Error: Do you want to debug this webpage?  this webpage contains errors that might prevent it from displaying or working correctly.  If you are not testing this webpage, click no."  Choices are Yes or No.  Also has check boxes:  Do not show this message again and Use the built-in script debugger in Internet Explorer. Shows error: Line: 6 Error:  The data area passed to a system call is too small.

I am still unable to link my Paypal account to my iTunes Store account.  I get an error that says Line 6 Error: The data area passed to a system call is too small.  I get this after completing the steps to link my Paypal account to my iTunes account.  The final step is to return to the iTunes Store, but the page just tries to load and then just hangs.  (It's the One Moment Please. Connecting to the iTunes Store web page.)  If I click on the iTunes icon in my taskbar, as instructed if the the page doesn't redirect to the Store, I am taken back to the select billing preferences page.    Paypal has verified that my account is correct and that this is not a problem on their end.  I have switched browsers from Firefox to Internet Explorer. I have reset my IE browser.  I have deselected script debugging in IE. Nothing is working. There must be a way for me to link my iTunes account to my Paypal account.

Your assistance with this problem is greatly appreciated. Do I need to create an entirely new iTunes account?  What is blocking me from changing my billing preferences?  I am using Avast Anti-virus, Microsoft Essentials, Windows Firewall,  Windows Defender is off.  I have tried turning off all of the above and that didn't make any difference.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Grantsaunt,

I would suggest you to access the link below and follow the steps and check if you can link paypal account to iTune stores.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444

You may also access the link below and follow the steps to troubleshoot runtime error’s in Internet Explorer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521

Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi grantsaunt,

Thanks for posting your question on the Microsoft Answers website!

Srinivas has since responded with a post that should work for the issue you posted. If possible, could you return to this thread and mark the correct post as the answer by clicking the “Mark as Answer” button at the bottom of the post? Otherwise, please return and give additional details about what didn’t work so the community can help you further troubleshoot.

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This thread contains an unconfirmed solution by the original poster and has been left unanswered. Microsoft Support will no longer attempt to contact the original poster.

Cody C
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again! I apologize for the delay in responding.  I have tried all of the suggestions in your 12/21/10 post but none worked. :(  I am still unable to link my Paypal account with my iTunes Store account.  I get stuck here:

One Moment Please.

Connecting to the iTunes Store.

We are unable to find iTunes on your computer.

<input type="submit" value="I have iTunes" /> <input type="submit" value="Download iTunes" />

If iTunes doesn't open, click the iTunes application icon in your Dock or Windows Task Bar. (I get this after signing in and registering with my PayPal account.  It then directs me to return to iTunes but the page just hangs.)  Using Internet Explorer, I still get this error:

Message: The data area passed to a system call is too small.Line: 6

iTunes is also working on this problem for me, but I haven't heard back from them. If you have any other way to assist me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2020 Views 15 Applies to: