Access Denied to my own C drive. Windows\system32 'the parameter is incorrect'

Last night I was attempting to get Windows networking working between my Vista laptop and my XP desktop.  I changed the workgroup name and computer name on my Vista laptop and somewhere along the line of doing this I've lost access to my own C drive?  If I try to click on C or turn off file sharing etc I get an access denied message

Now if I try to change my workgroup or computer name back via control panel\system I get an error that says

"C:\Windows\system32\systempropertiescomputername.exe"

"The parameter is incorrect"

I get similar errors when trying to do anything with file sharing as well.  I am a bit desperate as this is my wife's laptop and when momma aint happy, aint nobody happy.  Thanks for any help.
Answer
Answer
Follow the above advice:

Click Start >Programs >Accessories >System Tools >System Restore
If using Norton, disable it before using SR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a bit of info re Networking XP and Vista:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.

Permissions/Share info is there as well.

If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)

1 thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)

Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)

File Sharing: ON

Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared Docs)

Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no identical usernames/passwords set up, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard on the XP Computers, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”

OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File and Printer Sharing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Brian,

I think you need to attempt a system restore and try to go back to an earlier time.

Go to “help and support”  and search for,  system restore. Then follow the intructions.

Uh, sorry Momma ain’t happy. I feel for ya bro.

This ought to work for you.

Matt Hudson
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Matt Hudson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2022 Views 5,205 Applies to: