Standard openHCD USB host controller.

All 4 of my usb ports are showing this. I've tried to uninstall, reboot reinstall, I've down a system restore, and even did a full factory restore but still this comes up.

In the window it shows this, This device cannot start. (Code 10).

I can't seem to find any other code 10 errors for windows vista at all.

Check Device Manager to see if your USB ports are working properly.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System, and then clicking Device Manager (left pane).‌  Click Continue on the User Account Control prompt.

2. In Device Manager, Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers and check to see if all your USB ports, hubs, and controllers are functioning correctly. Any devices not functioning will have a yellow exclamation mark in front of them.

3. If Device Manager shows any USB ports or controllers are not functioning, right-click every device under it and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

4. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.

5. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

You may have to update the drivers if this don't work.
Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Hope I could help

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already done all of that, nothing worked. All four of the Standard openHCD USB host controllers have yellow exclamation marks. They all do not work.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joamer,

I suggest updating the chipset drivers for your motherboard by visiting the manufacturers website and downloading the latest version.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.

• All USB Ports were working prior to a Windows Updates: 'Update for Microsoft Windows (KB976902)' &'Hotfix for Miscrosoft Windows (KB976422)'
  • After that update, all USB Ports stopped working. My mouse, Printer, Camera, etc are not recognized.
  • I've attempted updating drivers, as well as uninstalling through deveice manager (as Rey G. Santos suggests here), but it returns with errors.
  • I've attempted updating the chipset drivers ofr my motherboard, but this did not solve the issue either.

I believe the issue is directly related to the Windows Updates listed above. Please note that update (KB976902) is not possible to uninstall.

Is there anything else that can be done?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having the same problem on a Home Theater PC (uses Bluetooth and CIR for input, VERY difficult to troubleshoot when USB doesn't work).  Machine has been running since before Vista and has been upgraded (not recently) to Windows 7.  For the past couple of weeks, I intermittently lose three (of four) USB OpenHCD controllers overnight and find the PC rebooted in the morning.  The motherboard is an ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3.  One USB OHCI controller stays active.  The motherboard incorporates an NEC / Renesas USB 3.0 chip and I suspect that is the controller that "works".  The other ports come from an AMD SB800-series southbridge that would normally use an AMD SB USB filter driver, but I don't think the filter driver is installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1. What is the make and model number of the Computer?

A file system filter driver intercepts requests targeted at a file system or another file system filter driver.

Assume that you have a Windows 7-based computer that is running on an Intel Atom Z670 processor and on an Intel SM35 Express chipset and you face this issue then run the Hotfix.

Functionality issues on USB devices that are connected to a Windows 7-based computer that has an Intel platform

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528984

For the issue with Windows Vista Computer try these steps.

Windows Vista might report that there is “no driver found for you device” and/or will not display the pre-installed Vista OEM drivers. Even by manually selecting the driver, you will still get the “no driver found…” error. This is most likely caused by a corrupted INFCACHE.1 file. This file stores the location of drivers and their INF files. This file is hidden, has restricted access, and can be found in “c:\windows\inf”.

Delete the INFCACHE.1 file and it will force Windows to rebuild the INFCACHE.1 file the next time Windows searches for drivers. To delete this file, you have to set the security permissions of it to allow Full Control for the User Group Administrators or full control for your user account. Please follow the directions below:

1. Open a Windows Explorer window by right clicking on Start and then clicking on Explore.
2. In the address bar, type C:\windows\inf and press Enter.
3. Find and then right click on the file named INFCACHE.1.
4.Select Properties.
5. Click on the Security tab.
6. Click on Edit to edit the permissions of the file.
7. Click on Add to add User Groups.
8. Type Administrators in the User Groups field and click on OK.
9. Set Administrators to Full Control and click on OK.
10. Move or delete the file INFCACHE.1.
11. Reinstall a device to force Windows to rebuild the INFCACHE.1 file (DO NOT reinstall the same external hard drive that you were having issues detecting before. Please connect another USB device other than the one that Vista had an issue detecting).

This detection issue can happen several times in a row, but repeat the steps 1-11 and try again until this works.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My USB ports are just unresponsive I have tried all you have said. I can find no resolution. My 3.0 ports are fine, but my 2.0 ports won't function

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 48,076 Applies to: