Receiving data dump errors on blue screen and then computer shuts down

When trying to access certain programs (movie editing, windows movie maker, itunes, etc) my computer will automatically take me to a blue screen that says it is collecting information for a data dump.  It also provides a technical information line that reads ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x81D4F0B1, 0x857DFC68, 0x857DF964).  Not sure if my hard disk is failing or this is a simple fix.  Help!!!
Answer
Answer

Hello My Computer Blows,

Thank you for using the Microsoft Vista Answers Forum!

My first recommendation would be to backup all you data just in case of any system failure.

Does the behavior you described in your post happened randomly or every time you try to access these programs? The error code in you post could mean that you may be having a hardware or software related issues. Let’s troubleshoot further by performing SFC scan and booting into CLEAN BOOT.

I would recommend you boot Windows into a clean boot environment to make this issue is not being caused by a background program.

To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista, follow these steps.

1.    Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.    On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.    Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.    Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.    Click OK.

6.    When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.    After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

If your issue is resolved, follow the How to Determine What is Causing the Problem section in the KB article to narrow down the exact source. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796. Also, see the section on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode

After the steps above, then run the System File Checker to scan your PC and let Windows replace corrupt or missing  system files on your computer.

1.      Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.      Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.

3.      In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

4.      You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification % complete.

5.      Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

…found no integrity violations

found corruption but repaired it

found corruption that it could not repair

Please reply with the completion message that you received.

David O
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our and let us know what you think.
David O

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2020 Views 6,539 Applies to: