Plug in Ipod and Vista says must format, Itunes says the Ipod is corrupt and needs repair. Tried repairing, formatting, multiple ipods, resetting USB drivers, itunes reinstall. . . this computer is about to go off the balcony, HELP!

I have three ipods, old 30g and two new nanos.  Itunes 9.0.3, Vista Ultimate 64bit with all updates installed. 

The Ipods all work great on XP on multiple different computers.  When I plug any into the new Inspiron powerhouse with Vista Ultimate 64, I get a microsoft box that says I have to format the drive to use it.  Secondly Itunes pops up and says the device is corrupt and needs repair.  When I repair it, it shows a successful repair in Itunes but once the computer gets to detecting the now repaired Ipod, the cycle starts over and windows says it must be formatted and itunes says it's corrupt again.

My flash drives also required formatting going from XP to Vista and I found they were FAT32 which Vista doesn't like.  NTFS seems to work on all my computers, XP, Mac, and Vista.  I've formatted a couple flash drives to NTFS so they work on Vista.  I tried formatting the Ipod to NTFS and it was successful.  Vista allowed it as a flash drive, but Itunes detected it as in the process of repair.  So I repaired it again, and again it finished successfully.  But after it was done, and windows re-detected it, Bam, start at square one with Vista requiring formatting and then Itunes saying corrupt. 

I tried deleting USB device drivers, multiple ipods.  Every time before and after this process the ipods worked fine on XP computers (granted all the files were gone). 

I never sync my ipods with itunes, but trying to organize media from this computer is a nightmare!  

I'll give this computer and its horse shoot-OS about a week before it goes into the snow bank below my deck.  

Any suggestions/help please, please. .
Answer
Answer

Hi  w60i10,

Thank you for replying.

I would suggest you to connect the iPod to some other computer and check if it’s working fine or you may also connect the iPod to some other USB port and check.

For further assistance, please contact apple support:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.
Regards
Debleena S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2018 Views 6,225 Applies to: