MrMinkus
Had this question 8
Question
MrMinkus asked on

monitor calibration data lost after uac / sleep / hibernate

Hi

I use Windows 7 RC and Windows Vista. Both suffer from the widely known problem of the monitor calibration data (p.e. gamma) being lost after a uac (user account control) message pops up or after sleep / hibernation.

I use a Laptop with Intel Graphics (Series 4 Express).

A few months ago, in the first weeks of using Win7 RC, the problem didn't exist. After a windows update, the problem appeared in win7. In Windows Vista, the bug was always there.

Can someone fix this?

Kind regards

keywords: lut, uac (user account control), calibration, color management, icc, icm, profiles
Halima S
Found this helpful 0
Halima S replied on
Microsoft

Hi MrMinkus,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

• How do you determine that the monitor calibration is lost?
• Do you know which update causes the issue to ocurr?

First I would suggest that you install Windows 7 RTM version on the computer and check if the problem persists.

Since you are referring to bug that happened due to an update on Windows vista I would suggest that you send your feedback using the below link.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

I would also suggest that you disable the User accout control (UAC) on the computer and check if this stop the monitor calibration.
We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

I would also suggest that you check which windows update is causing the monitor calibration to be lost.
Refer the below steps to know which update was installed on the computer.
Follow these steps to see which Windows updates are installed on your computer.

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.
2. In the left pane, click View update history.

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

MrMinkus
Found this helpful 0
MrMinkus replied on

Hi Halima

Thanks for your answer.

> How do you determine that the monitor calibration is lost?

I can clearly see the difference between the uncalibrated and the calibrated screen. One has a bluish color cast all over the screen and the other has 6500K colors.

> Do you know which update causes the issue to occur?

I think, it was a driver update for the intel graphics drivers - but i'm not 100% sure.

> First I would suggest that you install Windows 7 RTM version on the computer and check if the problem persists.

I don't have Windows 7 RTM right now and I will not buy just for testing.

> Since you are referring to bug that happened due to an update on Windows vista I would suggest that you send your feedback using the below link.

I didn't do an update on Windows Vista. As I wrote in my post, I use both Vista _and_ Win7 RC.

> I would also suggest that you disable the user account control ...

Sorry, I won't do that. As I googled for a solution, I also found this ugly work-around. Therefore I was posting in this forum to find a real solution. Also I can't see how disabling UAC can solve the calibration reset issues of UAC...

> I would also suggest that you check which windows update is causing the monitor calibration to be lost...

How can I tell which update causes this issue?

Regards

M. King
Found this helpful 0
M. King replied on

There is a solution here:

http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/colormgmt/win7/default.aspx

However it does not work for me because I get "access denied" (no clue why) when trying to change the system defaults (with local admin or domain admin account). Maybe it helps for you.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement for color management under windows 7. It is buggy and not intuitive at all...

M. King
Found this helpful 0
M. King replied on

Update: I tried the solution above (after figuring out that using "switch user" instead of UAC did help). The problem persists for me...

I always need  to have two profiles for each monitor. after the UAC prompt I need to go to calibration dialog and set the default to the dummy profile. After setting it to the correct one for each monitor calibration is restored. Even the reload current callibration button does not work. It is quite annoying in a multi-display setup with one "warm" and one "cold" monitor. It then appears really like having a red and a blue screen color....

Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft

Hi M. King,

It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question. Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/threads

Thank you

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
P. Riccio
Found this helpful 0
P. Riccio replied on

Hello M. King,

I have the same problem and it is driving me insane.  Have you found a fix to it.  I have and Eye One Display 2 with the same problem and I have been on the phone with their tech support for hours.  Hope you found a resolution and don't mind sharing.

keithb8
Found this helpful 0
keithb8 replied on

I've had the same problem when using huey on an i3 based desktop (with intel graphics), I solved my issue by disabling "Intel Common user interface" from starting by running MSCONFIG

I found the answer on this other social answers thread :-

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/6ef7aee8-2d63-49f7-ac5c-002d16924228

I also set the system defaults as suggested before details at :-

http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/colormgmt/win7/default.aspx

Franzman
Found this helpful 0
Franzman replied on

Hi,

I am having the same issue.
After UAC prompt the color profile is not active anylonger.
My VGA monitor is connected to my Windows 7 notebook.
After opening the lid, which leads to a change of the screen resolution, and closing the lid, the profile is active again.

Any news about this topic?

Thanks!

Michael Geary
Found this helpful 0
Michael Geary replied on

Franzman and others, I had the same problem and used the solution on this page:

It worked!