Failed to initiate drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up to date.

Original Title: Problems after Vista reinstallation

When I first got my laptop with Windows Vista, it had a screen resolution of 1280x800(give or take). I tried downloading DirectX 11 and it crashed and I ended up having to reinstall Vista altogether. When I did, the screen resolution was only 1024x768, and the program I used to have to change the resolution(can't remember the name) is gone. All my files were backed up so I tried replacing my old program files, but that didn't do any good. Another thing is the game design software I have, Game Maker7, won't run any of the games I made. It says "Failed to initiate drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up to date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution." I'm not sure of what all happened during the reinstallation, or even when it crashed. I know I tried to do a system restore with the Vista DVD before reinstalling, both from the menu, and by Command Prompt, but that didn't work either.

Answer
Answer

Hey DNalley,

Ø Did you install the appropriate driver for your graphics card?

Ø What is the make and model number of your system and graphics card?

1.    All these problems seem to be related to be your graphics card drivers. As such it would be a good idea to install the latest ones by visiting either your system manufacturer’s website or the graphics card manufacturer’s website.

For help with drivers, see: Update drivers: recommended links

2.    Once you are done with driver installation, try changing your screen resolution by following the steps from: Change screen resolution

In addition perform additional tests on the games that you’re currently facing problem with.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2023 Views 2,819 Applies to: