cyclic redundancy check during a backup procedure, and what can i do to fix it?

Yesterday i began to do a backup of my C: drive in order to reinstall the OS on my pc (windows vista ultimate 32bit), but during the process, it popped up a message saying "cyclic redundancy check error code 0x80070017 (i think this was the code), and the whole procedure stopped.
i run the chkdsk on the drive twice, it replaced some bad files but i still get the same message again and again.
What should i do to fix this issue? What could cause windows to create this problem?

for those who want the truth revealed open their hearts and secrets unseal from now until its now again from now which the memories end for those who are now in this house only truth will be heard from their mouths
Answer
Answer

Hello, Alex

If you are continuously getting hard drive errors and it does not pass a hard drive test, it is likely that the drive is failing as has been mentioned and may need to be replaced. I would recommend you at least make a backup to another hard drive or CD/DVD in the event of a complete failure.

Methods for backing up your files: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0625443e-f5c7-4bec-a5e3-3b7e00503c481033.mspx

Let us know if this helps.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

windows today gave me this message http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3180/capture45645475.jpg and i have decided to replace the drive, because  i tried about 10 times to boot the pc and it couldn't.

for those who want the truth revealed open their hearts and secrets unseal from now until its now again from now which the memories end for those who are now in this house only truth will be heard from their mouths

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2018 Views 5,526 Applies to: