Makavali
Had this question 94
Question
Makavali asked on

Code 43 Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems

Essentially, my PC won't recognize my GoGear Opus MP3 player (or iPod nano). However, I am using a USB mouse and keyboard at the moment with no problem. I had this same problem on this PC when I had Vista. I upgraded to 7 hoping this issue would be solved, but it is still there.
ChrisJSmith
Found this helpful 13
Answer
ChrisJSmith replied on
I was having the same problem with my ipods. I then, just by chance, decided to use a different cable and to my surprise, this fixed the problem. Both cables appear identical and both cables are original apple ipod cables. I was able to use both cables in my previous computer. However can only use one with my new computer running Windows 7. Hope this helps.
Migarr
Found this helpful 9
Answer
Migarr replied on
Makavali,

I had code 43 problems with my usb ports until I found a thread on MSI's website.  My front panel usb ports connected to a 9 pin usb header on the motherboard.  Only 8 pins are needed.  If pin 9 has a black ground wire then remove it.  I didnt give this fix much hope but it fixed my problems!  Good luck.
Migarr
Vijay B
Found this helpful 3
Vijay B replied on
Microsoft Support Engineer

Hi Makavali,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers forum.

Method I
I would suggest you to run the hot fix and see if that helps.
If your high-speed USB 2.0 ports don't work, you might not have the correct driver installed for the ports in your computer, or the ports might be defective. If you are using an external USB hub plugged into your computer, this might also be defective or lack the proper drivers. Check Device Manager to see if your USB ports or hubs are working properly.

1.       Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.       Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers and check to see if all your USB ports, hubs, and controllers are functioning correctly. Any devices not functioning will have a yellow exclamation mark in front of them.

3.       If Device Manager shows any USB ports, hubs, or controllers are not functioning, check for updated drivers. For more information, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly.

Additional Information: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Install-a-USB-device
Method II
if the above method fails I would suggest you to delete upper filter  and Lower filter, the following steps will help you to delete the filter.
REGISTRY EDIT DISCLAIMER:
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate and then click the LowerFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.
Note If you remove both registry values, and then you lose functionality in a particular program such as CD recording software, you may have to reinstall that software. If this problem occurs again, contact the software vendor for help.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks & Regards,
Vijay – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Makavali
Found this helpful 0
Makavali replied on

Tried all that. I also have recently installed a PCI USB2.0 card in an attempt to remedy this problem. Same issue, which leads me to think this is a software issue within Windows.

I've had to use Linux before, and I'd rather not go down that road again. But if I can't transfer files via USB I may be left with no choice :(
Migarr
Found this helpful 9
Answer
Migarr replied on
Makavali,

I had code 43 problems with my usb ports until I found a thread on MSI's website.  My front panel usb ports connected to a 9 pin usb header on the motherboard.  Only 8 pins are needed.  If pin 9 has a black ground wire then remove it.  I didnt give this fix much hope but it fixed my problems!  Good luck.
Migarr
chris santos
Found this helpful 1
chris santos replied on

is this method applicable to external hard disks and enclosures?
my problem is the same as makavali but differs on the gadget..
mine is enclosures and external hdd..
the big thing i really understand is it works on flash drives and data traveller...then when i connect my 1tb seagate external hdd it says unrecognizable device then the code 43 error appears..so i tried it on my another pc and it works..i downloaded the updated drivers for intel chipset and still no fruit.then i tried to connect my enclosure and the same happened..i tried the method 2 above but it stop booting the startup
so i did a repair(system restore) to fix it..but until now that code 43 always shows...please i need answers
using windows 7 32bit rc
my pc: intel core i5
msi p55-gd625
inno3d gts-250

thanks
mpchebe
Found this helpful 4
mpchebe replied on

The advice regarding Method II from Vijay B left me unable to boot, even after restoring registry backups.  Way to go mate.  I have tried literally every possible method of resolving this situation, which has plagued me since Vista...

Nothing has helped at all.  The only thing that did work was disabling the usb hosts and having them revert to usb 1.x, which is unacceptable.  Man up and admit that this MS' shenanigans.  Many people are having this same problem, and it's about time we got some real answers.  Yes, I have tried all of the hotfixes suggested on this site (and pretty much every other one out there).  Yes, I have tried uninstalling all of the usb hosts in the device manager.  Yes, I have left my PC off for a while unplugged.  None of this helped, and finally an answer from someone associated with MS leaves my Windows 7 install unable to boot, so much so that registry backups didn't even help apparently.

I find myself endlessly frustrated with this situation, and even more so that I probably have to reinstall my OS, only to have the usb ports fail once again.

The blue screen error is STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, ...)

Yes, I have checked to make sure the mode is IDE.  No, I will not format when all of my files are openly accessible through the repair option on boot.

As expected, even after a full reinstall of Windows 7, the USB issue persists...

isthisthingon_ITTO
Found this helpful 0
isthisthingon_ITTO replied on

I join the ranks of the frustrated.  Although I'm not suffering from the BSOD and can boot into Windows 7 successfully, I have an unstoppable pop-up that claims that: "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and WIndows doesn't recognize it."

There is no device connected to my machine, yet there is a USB port that doesn't work anymore.  I can't uninstall it since it keeps reappearing on startup and yet it just reports an "Unknown Device" that needs troubleshooting.

Click on the Unknown Device and get this in the properties window: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"  No device, nothing stopped and unable to stop the most annoying popup that continues flashing in the notification / task bar until I open it and keep it open for the duration of my session.  My problem may be different in that the death of an actual USB port could be to blame.  But I too have tried all the suggestions including rewinding to a restore point, HijackThis, etc. etc.

I keep glancing over at my gorgeous Ubuntu 10.04 laptop as I grumble along with Windows 7 (Home Premium) problems and feel like I might just snap at any second, scrub the boot and escape from proprietary software license land for good.  I hardly play the heavy processing games anymore anyway, which is the only reason I refrain from the permanent move.

Writchey
Found this helpful 1
Writchey replied on

I have an external USB drive that will fail to appear sometimes when I reboot. If I go in and remove it using Device Manager, turn off power at the device and then turn it back on and reboot, it will mount and works fine. No code 43 message appears.
Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft

Hi Folks,

It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question. Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware

Thank you

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
ChrisJSmith
Found this helpful 13
Answer
ChrisJSmith replied on
I was having the same problem with my ipods. I then, just by chance, decided to use a different cable and to my surprise, this fixed the problem. Both cables appear identical and both cables are original apple ipod cables. I was able to use both cables in my previous computer. However can only use one with my new computer running Windows 7. Hope this helps.
Gojira87
Found this helpful 1
Gojira87 replied on

I just setup a brand new Dell with Windows 7 Home Premium and I have 4 external hard drives that were all working fine now one keeps giving me this Error 43. It works in my laptop with no problem but for whatever reason its suddenly stopped working on the new desktop that is only a few hours old. Will someone please tell me what in the world happend and how to fix it?
Previous Previous Page of 7 Next Next