Application Error : explorer.exe, I/O error, reoccouring

Hey,

I'm running Windows Vista 32 bit on a gateway computer with the following specs (Dunno if this is complete enough):

Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Phoenix v6.00PG bio

3G of RAM

Direct X 11

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 1776 MB Memory

Now within the past few days (I havn't installed anything major at all within the past week or so) I've started to get an error and it go as follows (I get more based on what is open):

[explorer.exe- Application Error

The instruction at 0x75d4f967 referenced memory at 0x75d4f967. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc00000e.

Click OK to terminate the program]

Now sometimes it blue screens my computer without giving me a warning, but i'm assuming that it is related. When I click OK explorer closes and I just see a blank desktop. I have to manually boot down my computer and restart it. Restarting in safe mode doesn't seem to fix it, so I'm also guessing that it is a core driver problem.

When I restart in any mode, after I log in it hangs at the black loading screen for a noticable amount of time. And it seems to hold up from 5-25 minutes before it quits. In this time I've been able to update my graphics card, disc drive, and sound drivers. Also, sometimes it tries to boot from the disc drive, and fails (there's nothing in there) and asks for me to hit enter to retry but it just goes in circles from there, and requires another restart.

I've run sfc /scannow, system restore, Gateway Recovery Center Memory diagnostics (no notices popped up when I logged on), and am now installing some optional updates from microsoft that have to do with my video card (Hah, update as I was typing, they both failed with an error code 80070103, they were the Nvidia Display for the GeForce 8800 GT and the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller).

So sorry for the walls of text, but I was trying to be as complete as possible. Next blue screen I'll get the codes off of that. Any help would be appreciated. I'm scared all these restarts are frying my computer or something!

Answer
Answer

Hello,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

This could be an issue with the hardware. You may try these:

A)   Restart the computer with minimal RAM. For Example, if you are using 4GB(Gigabytes) of RAM of 2 sticks, then remove one of it and then restart to check if the issue occur.
Note: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the above step. You may do it at your own risk.

B)  Use Chkdsk.exe to check for disk errors on the Windows drive.

1. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. At the command prompt, type Chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER.
3. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk next time that the system restarts.
4. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

Note:During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors and then starts.

Refer to the link “Check your hard disk for errors” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors 

Note: Check disk will try to fix the bad sectors on the hard disk so DATA present on the bad sectors will be lost.

If the above does not help, you may try to do systems restore.

Refer to the link "How to use System Restore to log on to Windows 7 or Windows Vista when you lose access to an account" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765 

Diana
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2023 Views 21,384 Applies to: