I am unable to open certain files on Desktop!

Hi!

I am unable to open certain files stored on my Desktop. I can open the Recycle Bin, I can open shortcuts, I can open the desktop.ini files, I can open DOCX files, I can open EXE files and I can open VBS files. By opening files I mean double-clicking on the file icons. But I cannot open picture files (JPG or PNG).

If I try double-clicking on any picture file on my Desktop nothing happens! If I right click on the file icon and choose Preview it's the same thing, nothing happens! But I can open pictures files stored in my Pictures folder in C:\Users\User, either by double-clicking on file icons or by right clicking on them and choosing Preview. Also, if I copy or move the files I have on Desktop to the Pictures folder then all of a sudden I can open them! I can either double-click on file icons or right click and choose Preview. But If I move these files back to Desktop, then I can't open them! What gives???

I am assuming that this has something to do with file and folder security settings. But I am not sure what's wrong, or what to do. Note that all these files, basically all files stored in C:\Users were restored from an Acronis full disk backup file (Full_backup_of_Vista_(ST1PT1).tib). I know that during the backup recovery process in Acronis True Image Home 2011 I left the default setting on for the option "recover files with their original security settings".

Leaving the "recover files with their original security settings" option on resulted in the old user account SID being listed in the security list of files and/or folders (i.e. S-1-5-21-3623811015-3361044348-30300820-1013). For this reason, I decided to delete all of the restored files, and restore them again, only this time I un-ticked the option "recover files with their original security settings". This way, the files would inherit security settings from the folders they are stored in.

So here I am now, still having issues with file security, even after removing the option I mentioned above and restoring files once again.

There are no unknown SID numbers listed for these files now. All I can see is the Administrators group, the SYSTEM group and Samir which is my user account. The same thing is shown for the Desktop folder. So why would this be an issue now? At the same time, the Pictures folder has the unknown account number S-1-5-21-2544407746-3790578479-2786702567-1000 and yet I have no problems opening files in this folder?! So what's going on? What should I do?
Answer
Answer
Problem solved!

I did use a software called ReProfiler which allows the user to manipulate user profiles in Winwows directly, without having to create a new user account. Because let's face it: having to create a whole new user account for the sole purpose of getting a new user profile belongs in the era of Windows 98! This old school procedure doesn't belong in a modern operating system like Vista or 7!

There is actually a way of removing a user profile in Windows Vista, without removing a user account. It can be found by going to...

1. Start
2. Control Panel
3. System and Maintenance
4. System
5. Advanced system settings. This brings up System Properties.
6. On this dialog you click Settings where it says "profiles". A new dialog shows up and allows you to delete selected user profiles. But there is no option to create a new one. Why not Microsoft?...

It's frustrating not to be able to do this right in the system, and to have to depend on third party applications like ReProfiler.

So I used ReProfiler to re-assign my user account to my user profile. I did this and restarted the computer. But it didn't seem to have any effect on the issue I had with files on Desktop. But after deleting a couple of files from Desktop it all started to work normally. I remember deleting one particular program shortcut that gave me error message if I went to Properties, Security tab. This shortcut was a leftover after uninstalling the program itself. So after deleting this thingy I was able to open any file on Desktop, even picture files. So I'm not sure if it was ReProfiler or a combination of things that sorted this out, but I'm glad it works again.

Lessons learned: Don't ever restore the files ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, ntuser.ini when restoring files to any of the Users folders from a backup file. This will surely mess things up. Also, don't restore security settings for files and folders of those files and folder you are restoring. Instead, let them inherit the proper security settings from their parents. I think this is how I introduced this problem in first place.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 7,246 Applies to: