MX-GGM
Had this question 288
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
MX-GGM asked on

How can I recover deleted files (with shift-del)

How I can recover data files erased with shift-delete?
Thanks
101A
Found this helpful 239
Answer
101A replied on

Hi,

When a file is deleted from your computer, its contents aren't immediately destroyed. Windows simply marks the hard drive space as being available for use by changing one character in the file table. If you manage to start an undelete process before Windows overwrites that part of hard disk with new files. You can set that flag back to "on" and get your file.

As I know, you can download some free recovery software as follow to recover deleted files.

NoteStop using the current disk as main disk, please keep it unchangeable before recovering the files.

1.Panda Recovery

Pandora Recovery actually recovers files permanently removed from Recycle Bin, files originally deleted using Shift + Delete keys bypassing Recycle Bin and files deleted from DOS prompt. Pandora Recovery allows you to find and recover recoverable deleted files from NTFS-formatted volumes, regardless of their type - you can recover pictures, songs, movies or documents. Setup file is 2.12 MB in size. For more information, please visit the following link.

Panda Recovery

2.TOKIWA DataRecovery

DataRecovery is freeware and written by TOKIWA to undelete accidentally deleted files even from recycle bin. It supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS undeletion. Even in both NTFS compressed files and EFS encrypted files. Zip file is only 198 KB in size, no installation required and it’s portable.

Download: TOKIWA DataRecovery

3.Undelete Plus

Undelete Plus is a quick and effective way to restore accidentally deleted files. It can also recover files that have been emptied from the Recycle Bin, permanantly deleted files within Windows using the Shift + Delete, and files that have been deleted from within a Command Prompt. Undelete Plus works under Win 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista operating systems. The program supports all Windows file systems for hard and floppy drives including FAT12/16/32,NTFS/NTFS5 and image recovery from CompactFlash, SmartMedia, MultiMedia and Secure Digital cards. Program is only 583 KB in size and requires no installation. Portable. For more information, please visit the following web site.

Undelete Plus

However, if you are not familiar with above application, I highly recommend that you contact Data Recovery Company for support.

Hope this helps.
A. User
Found this helpful 13
A. User replied on

You can often successfully recover deleted files from a PC, or USB memory stick, camera card, phone etc... , it all depends on what has happened since the files were deleted.

When you delete files the data itself isn’t deleted, just the index entry that tells the system where the data for those files is located. The area containing the deleted data is also now marked as free space so it is available for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it is too late to recover your deleted files so it is very, very important to not save any new files or data to the device concerned.

If ther files were on a PC then its VERY important to use another PC to browse the internet for a solution as internet browsing causes lots of temporary files to get written to the disk. Download any file recovery software, for example, to a memory stick, plug that in the computer with the deleted files and run it from there.

If the deleted files are on a camera memory card or USB memory stick, just don’t save any new files to it.

<advertisement removed>

chrisjw37
Found this helpful 14
chrisjw37 replied on
I must say - Recuvva
is the easier option to use, friendly fast and easy to use interface.
Muzahir_H
Found this helpful 8
Muzahir_H replied on

Hello

I tried possiblay all the softwares and they detect the files but when i try to open it in |Excel is gives a message that "The Document is Corrupt and to repair it Use the open and repair command in the open dialog box (file menu) and selet extract data when prompted"
but i do not know where to do it. Because when i go to open it does not say open and repair. So does any one has a possible answer to my question. Does it mean that the recovered file can't be open .....

Regards

A. User
Found this helpful 8
A. User replied on

Open Excel.

Click on the Office button - the one that opens a menu drop down that shows "New", "Open", "Save" etc....

Click "Open". The Open dialog box will now open.

In the bottom right corner of the dialog box, is a button "Open" with a down arrow (for options) - click on this and the bottom option is "Open and Repair".

So select your file using the browse window then click that Open button arrow followed by Open and Repair.

<advertisement removed>

Hope all that helps.
Muzahir_H
Found this helpful 4
Muzahir_H replied on

all you said is true.

But i was not lucky. open and repair didn't worked. and reapir corrupt software given me a blank file. I means that the hard drive sector for that particular deleted file is permenantly overwritten
LVrunner
Found this helpful 11
LVrunner replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hey Everybody,

I made a mistake. I thought my files were backed up on my external hard drive. I have a HP sytem and running XP on it. I reinstalled the OS and my docs were gone but some of my files under the C:/ were still there. Any idea how I can recover those files? The docs I am trying to recover are word, excel, jpg, PPT. Any help would be great. Thanks!
A. User
Found this helpful 6
A. User replied on

You can sometimes recover files after a re-install or reformat on a PC, but it helps if you minimise use of the PC in the meantime.

The data may still exist on the disk, but not be marked as files. This means that the diskspace containing the old files is now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead.

When that happens, then it becomes too late to recover your files so it is very important to not save any new files or data to the device concerned.

Use another PC to browse the internet for a solution as internet browsing causes lots of temporary files to get written to the disk. Download any file recovery software, for example, to a memory stick, plug that in the computer with the deleted files and run it from there.

<advertisement removed>
retiredandold
Found this helpful 1
retiredandold replied on

Thank you!  I had trouble understanding what others said.  I went to your recovery sight and got the pictures back.  Thank you again.
nikkinlove12
Found this helpful 1
nikkinlove12 replied on

I am trying to open .doc files from my professors online.  I click on the link and a screen pops up asking if I want to run it I say yes. Then a screen pops up asking if I want to open it I say yes and nothing happens. what do I do? I already downloaded 2 things that you recommended to another person and those didn't help.
Previous Previous Page of 11 Next Next