How do I get Vista's start menu and taskbar back to it's default settings I think I have it in classic view now?

I have gone into customize under properties on the taskbar and clicked customize and tried to switch from classic to non-classic but this does not work for me? I would like to get the taskbar and start menu back to the origanal settings and look that it comes with in Vista. I have tried everything I can and I can't seem to bring it back to the way it was when I first bought my Laptop with Vista installed.Thank you for helping it will be greatly appreciated when I get back the Vista look!!

Right click on the Start orb and click properties and then Start Menu.  You will see several options - you probably have classic view checked.  Check the top option for the Vista view.  Then click on Taskbar and select the options you wish and save the new settings.  You will also see hyperlinks at the bottom of each screen for more information about how to make the changes - that might help.  When done, things should look the way you want.

You can also adjust the Taskbar by right clicking on a blank space on the taskbar and then click on Toolbars and check those you want to show there.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried both of these options but nothing works? Is there a registry edit to make a classic view that I am stuck on? I seem to think I edited the registry to make these changes that I can't seem to get back to the Vista view. I apprecite your answer and help but I did these changes again and it did not work! Do you have any other things perhaps I should try? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought I would add that I have also tried under taskbar properties then start menu clicked on customize then use default settings none of this works??? I have no idea what is going on here? Why don't any of these changes take effect? I thank anyone who can ehlp here! Thank you Lorien - One for your reply!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did try all these options. In the taskbar it is written" keep the task bar on the top". Is there some one to help me in bringing back my default taskbar on the bottom of the scree in vista?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did try all these options. In the taskbar it is written" keep the task bar on the top". Is there some one to help me in bringing back my default taskbar on the bottom of the scree in vista?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is not what this thread was about. If your Taskbar is on a side or the top, right click on the Taskbar and unlock it. Grab a blank spot and drag it back to the bottom. Lock the Taskbar.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a very irritating problem that occurs about every 3 months when I get security updates from Microsoft for Vista. The fix does NOT work because it removes the option of Vista Classic View from the Control Panel. This is the answer we are looking for. In the past, I've gotten it back by "system restore" which is a ridiculous way to have to fix it. Microsoft, we need you to do better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 2,794 Applies to: