weshey
Had this question 16
Question
weshey asked on

Date Modified to show time with Seconds

I want to show the Date Modified with the Seconds listed. XP could do this now in Vista it is not there. Also if I go into some files it show the date modified with 2 hours ago why is this? This is not helpfull when you have many files created at the same hour but different seconds. I track files with seconds and need to display all that info.
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Brian-Support Engineer replied on

Hi Wesleyhe,

Unfortunately we don’t know why this was removed; it’s on the developers’ side of things and out of our realm of “in-the-know”.

Brian
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Brian
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let u
Marilyn - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Marilyn - Support Engineer replied on

Hello Wesleyhe,

The only way I have found to see seconds included with date modified is in the Details pane which opens along the bottom of Windows Explorer when you view the files on your computer. The details pane includes all of the options you have selected.

The seconds does not show when viewing folders or files within Date Modified. However, if you hover the mouse pointer over a file or folder, the date modified will include seconds. 

By default, the Windows Explorer displays file's Name, Date Modified, Size and Type. If you want to add more options or remove options, right click on any of the columns. Click on "More" to display a full list of options that you may want to select to display when you show details. You can check and select the details you want to display for the items in the folder.

If you want to do a search on the internet there are 3rd party tools that might do what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Marilyn
Marilyn
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let
lansaguy
Found this helpful 7
Most Helpful Reply
lansaguy replied on

Here's what I did...
Download the Google Chrome browser if you're not using it already (it's very good) and paste the path into the address box.
Your directory contents will be listed with the modified time down to the seconds.
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Hi Wesleyhe,

So you are looking at Date Modified in Windows Explorer, where it says the name of the file and then next to it Date Modified? You can right-click the file, click properties, and under the General tab you will see entries for “Created:”, “Modified:”, and “Accessed:” which has dates and times down to the second. I hope that helps.

If you have any further questions or this is not what you were talking about, please let us know and we will be happy to further assist you.

Brian
Brian
weshey
Found this helpful 0
weshey replied on

I need it to show me in the file explorer window. I have the date modified column and it does not show the seconds. this is were i need to have the seconds listed also
Marilyn - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Marilyn - Support Engineer replied on

Hello Wesleyhe,

The only way I have found to see seconds included with date modified is in the Details pane which opens along the bottom of Windows Explorer when you view the files on your computer. The details pane includes all of the options you have selected.

The seconds does not show when viewing folders or files within Date Modified. However, if you hover the mouse pointer over a file or folder, the date modified will include seconds. 

By default, the Windows Explorer displays file's Name, Date Modified, Size and Type. If you want to add more options or remove options, right click on any of the columns. Click on "More" to display a full list of options that you may want to select to display when you show details. You can check and select the details you want to display for the items in the folder.

If you want to do a search on the internet there are 3rd party tools that might do what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Marilyn
Marilyn
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let
weshey
Found this helpful 0
weshey replied on

why was this removed it was great in XP now microsoft removed funtionality and now have to go through a 3rd party? i would like to  see a registry setting to change this. we use this all the time and now it is gone.
Brian-Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer

Hi Wesleyhe,

Unfortunately we don’t know why this was removed; it’s on the developers’ side of things and out of our realm of “in-the-know”.

Brian
Brian
English Buddy
Found this helpful 1
English Buddy replied on

Hello,

I am a software developer using Vista Ultimate x64 and I've noticed the same thing.  Further:

Comments:

1.  You CANNOT see the seconds value by hovering over the item.  Someone has oversimplified that as well.

2.  You CANNOT see the time at all for a recently modified file if you right click and choose Properties.  That says "3 minutes ago" or similar.  This inexact indication appears to be dependent on the time since the file was modifed (or created or accessed), as files that are several days old display a time down to the second, and you can see seconds right after the file is created, but it changes to "1 minute ago" very quickly.

3.  The file time is stored internally down to the millisecond.  Why is this not available somewhere as well?  Sometimes it's important which file in a sequence was created or modified first.

4.  Explorer, when showing Details view, and when you click on the Date Modified column, sorts only to what you can see, so you CANNOT use ordering in the list to determine which file is a fraction of a second newer than another.  Why not sort using the full file time even if you're only going to show times to the minute?

5.  In Win7 (I am testing the RC) the Details pane DOES NOT show seconds.  For some reason I can't display the Details pane on Vista x64 so I can't check there.

Why is there a move to "dumb down" Windows to such a degree that a person who's trying to use a computer for serious development CAN'T even find a way to show the file time to the second?  Do your developers actually USE Windows to develop?

Please, if there are any tweaks to the UI settings - even registry settings - to make file times show consistently in the Properties view, or hover, or details pane, let us know what they are.

-EB
msshit
Found this helpful 0
msshit replied on

Stupid XP can't even show seconds in the systemtray clock.... But you can still set the option under "regional settings and languages".
I'm using Linux (Ubuntu) now. You can show seconds in the time with two clicks. But I have one pc where I can't install Ubuntu, because the user can't use Linux yet (the moron haha).

But serieously...How difficult is it to put the seconds back in the clock?? I swear I have enough RAM, Mr. Gates...
lansaguy
Found this helpful 7
lansaguy replied on

Here's what I did...
Download the Google Chrome browser if you're not using it already (it's very good) and paste the path into the address box.
Your directory contents will be listed with the modified time down to the seconds.
The Wrong Shirt
Found this helpful 2
The Wrong Shirt replied on

Here's what I did...

Nice one! Works in Firefox too.
PensiveDoug
Found this helpful 1
PensiveDoug replied on

I too want the option of seeing seconds in file times, in the contents pane.

Mostly I want to see a "time:" search criteria, or an extension of date: syntax, say to find files changed in the last few minutes or hours.

Twenty years ago we could use dir /s /od to find what files had recently changed.  Is it possible that Win 7 Explorer is incapable of this?

It is very depressing to hear we should resort to 3rd party tools to do what we always did in Windows, thru XP at least.  I hope there is a workaround.

Thanks.

Doug
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next