Cant enable mirror display, please help!

Hi,

I have been trying to get my TV to display exactly what is on my computer screen aka "mirror" setting as I understand it. I hooked up an HDMI cable with a DVI adapter between my Desktop PC and HDTV. I right click my desktop --> personalization --> Display settings --> GeForce GTX 260 tab at the top ( at which point it prompts me to open the Nvidia control panel) --> then i go to "Setup Multiple Displays" and check the boxes "Samsung syncMaster" and " SAMSUNG". After I apply the new settings I get my desktop background on my TV but without any icons, startup menu, etc.. its just the background. I'm aware that the desktop is just extended into the TV monitor. There is no option where i can set it to "mirror display" or anything like that. When i go to my monitor settings tab I get two options which read the same, as follows : " Generic PnP monitor on Nvidia Geforce GTX 260". Underneath these options, which seem to be inconsequential no matter which one i choose, there are two greyed-out boxes, both checked off, that cannot be selected or altered which read " This is my main monitor" and " Extend the desktop onto this monitor". Now if only i could uncheck the second option I suspect my problem would be solved.

I have downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition, Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 Video card.

My only other recourse seems to be to select my TV screen as my primary and only monitor, and then I get all my tabs, etc.. to show up on my TV, but my PC monitor is obviously disabled. Normally I'd probably just deal with this and change the settings as necessary but 1) I am curious as to why I cannot set a mirror display and 2) the resolution is so poor on my widescreen TV that I can barely read any of the tabs etc.. when trying to navigate around the system, not to mention my mouse/keyboard setup is such that my back faces the tv screen making it very annoying to type etc.. and keep turning my head to see the screen.

I have searched every applicable keyword in different combinations on google, dogpile, ask, etc.. and have not found any answers which pertain to my problem.

Can someone please help me? From what I understand this should be a very simple problem to solve but I can't seem to find a way around it.
Answer
Answer

Hello Mike,

Thank you for writing back with details to Microsoft Vista Community Forums.

It seems that we are unable to get the option to mirror or clone the two monitors on the computer in the Nvidia control panel.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

I would recommend you to try to contact the display card manufacturer to verify if they have any settings to be changed.

You may also try to download the latest drivers for your display adapter and install the same to check if we have additional options in the nvidia control panel to customize my monitors. Http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Srinivas

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2021 Views 46,454 Applies to: