The New OneDrive "Improvements"

Ok guys,

I've just read the Windows Blog post about the new build - and one thing really stunned me - What did they do to OneDrive integration?

As far as I can see, they just butchered the the integration principle from Windows 8.1 and slapped back the old OneDrive app that works like it did 2 years ago.
I mean, was there really anyone that confused the available online/offline files? I liked those "placeholder" files, because I did not need to have all the stuff on my local harddrive, but I saw everything and could download anything I needed in just a few clicks.

The selective sync principle is imho cumbersome and slow in comparison and the thing I miss the most are those placeholder files mentioned in the blog post. Now I can't just search for some files in explorer that are only in OneDrive and download them as needed, but you need to either sync everything to do those kinds of searches (which practically kills one of the purposes of cloud storage, at least for me) or open OneDrive website, search for the files there and... Heck, this is ridiculous! 

What is your opinion guys? Am I the only one that sees this as a major step back?

I would suggest to have both options available. what do you think?

EDIT: I'd request everyone, who is not happy with these changes and would like to at least have the option to use the previous synchronization model, please, either recommend this thread and/or leave a comment with your suggestions. Also feel free to let Microsoft know your discontent by any other means, so they get the users' feedback regarding this. Thanks.

Thanks to Paul Royal:

Go to https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6708195-add-an-advanced-option-to-restore-showing-all-oned and please vote to undo these amazing new improvements.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Totally agree.  There was some fantastic technology underlying the new system in 8.1.  Suddenly it is all thrown out just to resolve a perceived user problem.

All that needed to be done to the 8.1 system is add selected folder sync ON TOP.  Then users could configure OneDrive either way, or some combination of the two.  Then use some slick instructions to educate users.

DO NOT throw it all out.  What you had was one up over DropBox.  Now you have no edge.

Hopefully you are working on some "magic" that we don't yet know about.  Otherwise I don't know what I will do.  Windows 7 OneDrive in Windows 10 just will not do!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Totally agree.  There was some fantastic technology underlying the new system in 8.1.  Suddenly it is all thrown out just to resolve a perceived user problem.

All that needed to be done to the 8.1 system is add selected folder sync ON TOP.  Then users could configure OneDrive either way, or some combination of the two.  Then use some slick instructions to educate users.

DO NOT throw it all out.  What you had was one up over DropBox.  Now you have no edge.

Hopefully you are working on some "magic" that we don't yet know about.  Otherwise I don't know what I will do.  Windows 7 OneDrive in Windows 10 just will not do!

My exact words - if anyone had this kind of problem, fine, just give them the OPTION of selective sync and let them know it is there. For the rest of us, nothing needed to be changed. 

I work as a translator and I've actually built my workflow around this feature, I do not need all of my work files at the same moment, but it is nice to have them handy when I need somthing real quick.

And I'm sure there are lots of folks that used that feature to their massive advantage, like me.

I also hope this is a temporary replacement, otherwise...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I saw the synchronization, I was excited. I selected my folders and everything was going well.

Then, horrible icons appeared on folders no synchronized, red and error icons, while this should not be the case since the selection was proposed and desired.

After that, I got sync error messages explaining that 5 files were not uploaded to OneDrive. Obviously since these are folders that are already present on OneDrive and I do not want to synchronize on this PC...

The only thing that was missing from 8.1, was selective synchronization, but everything else was perfect, including placeholders (even though I've seen strange things on the smart files (files online only) who did not have the same size on my Surface Pro and on my PC, were larger on the Surface which is annoying since it has less disk space than on a PC...).

The question is: why messing something that was close to perfect. The only one missing, synchronization is set up, but on the other hand, it removes what was the strength of OneDrive on the PC. Is it not possible to have the best of both worlds? Which was fine on 8.1 and this selective synchronization appeared on 10?

(Sorry for my English)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree as well.  OneDrive is fine in Windows 8.1, and what they've done to it is horrible.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that was missing from 8.1, was selective synchronization, but everything else was perfect, including placeholders (even though I've seen strange things on the smart files (files online only) who did not have the same size on my Surface Pro and on my PC, were larger on the Surface which is annoying since it has less disk space than on a PC...).

And this is my main issue. The smart files were great and I've used this functionality quite extensively.
Now you don't have smart files and either have to keep all your files synced locally to retain quick access (and for me, more importantly, to keep track of what's where and whether I have it in the first place), or you need to go to OneDrive settings and selectivelly sync the needed folder/file. Of course, if you know exactly where it is.

If there is a way to bring the old sync model back, I'd be willing to try.

Yes, I could of course revert back to build 9860, or even to 8.1, but if this is really the way they decided to go, we are royally screwed, ladies and gentlemen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And this is my main issue. The smart files were great and I've used this functionality quite extensively.
Now you don't have smart files and either have to keep all your files synced locally to retain quick access (and for me, more importantly, to keep track of what's where and whether I have it in the first place), or you need to go to OneDrive settings and selectivelly sync the needed folder/file. Of course, if you know exactly where it is.

If there is a way to bring the old sync model back, I'd be willing to try.

Yes, I could of course revert back to build 9860, or even to 8.1, but if this is really the way they decided to go, we are royally screwed, ladies and gentlemen.

After all, they ask for feedback, and even though it is usual to say that only those who aren't happy give their opinion... Anyway, I think that it is a real regression, it should be noted, unless it is only temporary, but in doubt, should be part of our discontent.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The change was probably an overreaction. What was needed was just a more obvious/clear distinction between local and online-only files. Maybe a new kind of icon that represents a placeholder for online only files?

I'm curious now what happens to newly created child folders (after making the initial online/offline selection). Do they automatically inherit the settings of their parent folder?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could not agree more - this version of OneDrive makes me want to switch to my DropBox because at least I can get to the files in the cloud without having to sync them locally first. A really terrible and retrograde step for OneDrive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In short, this is the worse. And we might have to put up with this until next year too since there will be no new build until then.

I thought Windows have the "Offline Files" feature for years and nobody have problem with that? Maybe slapping a red X mark on the file that only available online to make sure no one misunderstand? (On top of, you know, the column that clearly say "Available online only"?). It felt almost insulting when they champion this removal as "cool new feature".

Please give us at least the option to revert ASAP. And I don't mean next year.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Totally Agree with you, Smart Files is the best thing that happened to OneDrive. Navigate trough all my online files using Windows Explorer, is awesome. I Simply can't do that anymore if I don't sync all my files offline.

And Now With 10 TERABYTES of disk space on My OneDrive, make this is impossible.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 31, 2022 Views 1,939 Applies to: