dadshorse
Had this question 5
Question
dadshorse asked on

(XP) After update KB976098, system crashes within 15 minutes from every start up.

I am having the same problem as 'linkinpark29', and I also deducted it was from the last update on Nov. 25. I did not download or install the first two updates, but I did decide to install the last one, (regarding the daylight savings time fix). After that, my computer freezes after 10-25 minutes of being on. It doesn't matter if I'm on the internet or not. I don't know if this matters, but I never did let service-pac 3 install on my computer because it caused problems on two computers I know of.  I believe the update that caused my problem was KB976098.  I received an update the next day, (Hot Fix for windows xp- KB976098-v2), and I was hoping it was something microsoft sent out to fix the earlier update problem, but my computer still freezes!! The blue death screen says "<Kernel_Data_Inpage.Error"  Once it also said "ftdisk.sys"  Address BA753642 base at BA749000, Datestamp 3b7d8419   Any help would be greatly apprieciated!!!  PS. The update does not show up in the "add or remove programs", so no way to delete it. The "Hot Fix" from the next day appears there, but not the regulay update from Nov. 25.  One more thing, my hard-drive access light never stops after all starts up. System seems to be busy trying to do something??  Help please!
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
PA Bear MS MVP replied on
I received an update the next day, (Hot Fix for windows xp- KB976098-v2), and I was hoping it was something microsoft sent out to fix the earlier update problem, but my computer still freezes!!...

...I never did let service-pac 3 install on my computer because it caused problems on two computers I know of.

...my hard-drive access light never stops after all starts up. System seems to be busy trying to do something??

Did "Microsoft" send you this hotfix in an attachment to an email or was it offered/installed by Automatic Updates?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

NOTE: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until SP3 is installed.

TIP: Do NOT attempt to install SP3 at this point!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002