asnagpal
Had this question 19
Question
asnagpal asked on

Vista SP2 Error 8007371c

Hey guys.  I tried installing windows updates on a CLEAN system, meaning i reformatted before i installed any windows updates.  After reformatting my computer, I went ahead and downloaded and installed every single update that windows update threw at me.  Vista SP1 was then available, so I installed it successfully.  After that, I received more updates and installed them, and Windows Update prompted me to download and install Vista SP2, so I did. 

After downloading it, it tried to install but it failed due to this error code: 8007371c, an unknown error.  Of course, I took the necessary precautions before installing Vista SP2, which is turning off all programs, running system readiness tool, trying it in safe mode if all else failed, and using Selective Startup as a last resort.  I REALLY should not have a problem with installing SP2 since I'm on a clean system.  I then downloaded the SP2 Standalone from the microsoft website and tried to install it.  I got an error saying: Error: ERROR_SMI_PRIMITIVE_INSTALLER_FAILED(0x8007371c).  I posted this on a Vista forum and a user told me that since I can't install it on a clean system, it may be a problem with my drivers as they may be outdated.  Well, I went to Device Manager and pretty much checked almost all of my devices and found them to be up to date. 

Any ideas?

Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Mike - Support Engineer replied on

asnagpal,
     I would suggest that you run the System File Checker and see if it repairs anything or returns any errors.   Let us know the results.
Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us kn
Naman R
Found this helpful 1
Naman R replied on

Hi Asnagpal,

Welcome to Microsoft Vista answers Forum!

We get this error when few system files are corrupted.

Firstly we have to do some changes in the registry and should run system update readiness tool

To rename the Pending.xml file and to edit the registry, follow these steps.

Start Windows Vista and go to the System Recovery options :

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then restart the computer.
  2. When you are prompted to restart from the disc, press any key.
  3. When you are prompted, configure the Language to install, Time and currency format , and Keyboard or input method options that you want, and then click Next .
  4. On the Install Windows page, click Repair your computer .
  5. On the System Recovery Options page, click the version of the Windows Vista operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next .

Use the System Recovery options to rename the Pending.xml file and edit the registry :

1. On the System Recovery Options page, click Command Prompt .
  2. Type cd C:\windows\winsxs, and then press ENTER.
  3. Type ren pending.xml pending.old, and then press ENTER.
  4. Type regedit, and then press ENTER.
  5. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE .
  6. On the File menu, click Load Hive .
  7. Locate the following folder: C:\windows\system32\config\components
  8. When you are prompted for a name, type Offline_Components.
  9. In Registry Editor, locate and then delete the following registry subkey:

HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier

Exit Registry Editor :

1. At the command prompt, type exit to exit Registry Editor.
  2. Press ENTER.
  3. Click Restart .

After you do the changes in the registry, run the system update  readiness tool

o    Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe)

Download and run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe). After you download this tool, it runs a one-time scan for inconsistencies that might prevent future servicing operations.

For more information about how to download and run the System Update Readiness tool, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 947821 Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008

Notes

In article 947821, scroll down to the "Microsoft Download Center" section, and then click the associated link to download the System Update Readiness tool for your operating system.

After you run this tool, the Checksur.log file will be saved in the following location:

%systemroot%\Logs\CBS

In a default installation of Windows Vista, this is the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder.

The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location: %systemroot%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log,

At the end of the page we get the message as how many number of errors are present and the number of errors fixed.

Give the error message.

Please reply back with the last 50 lines from the log file.

Hope this information is helpful.
Let me know if this worked.
All the best!

Thanks and Regards:
Swathi B  - Microsoft Support.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

asnagpal
Found this helpful 0
asnagpal replied on

Thank you so much -- I'll let you know the results asap!
asnagpal
Found this helpful 0
asnagpal replied on

Hi Swathi,

Everything was going smoothly until I got to the part where I had to type "ren pending.xml pending.old".

After typing that I got "The system cannot find the file specified"

I also checked out the CheckSUR.log file.  Here are the results:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6001.22375
Package Version 5.0
2009-08-15 02:16

Checking Deployment Packages

Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.

Checking package watchlist.

Checking component watchlist.

Checking packages.

Checking component store
Summary:
Seconds executed: 1232
 No errors detected
Customer Experience report successfully uploaded.  Thank you for participating.  For more information, see the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program on the Microsoft web site.

Any help with this?  Thanks in advance..

Naman R
Found this helpful 0
Naman R replied on

Hi Asnagpal,

Welcome back Microsoft Vista Answers Forum!

We have to re-register the license of the installer, follow the steps below and re-register teh license

1. Click Start and select Run

2. Type regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll and hit enter

3. Type regsvr32.exe licdll.dll and hit enter

Check if the computer is updated with service pack 2

If the issue still persists, follow the steps below to re-register SMIPI file.

Download the file here: SMIPI.DLL

Once saved on your desktop

1. Move the file to the folder

C:\Windows\System32

2. Click Start, select Run and type regsvr32 smipi.dll

Restart and hopefully you should be able to download the updates

Hope this information is helpful.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks and regards

Swathi B-Microsoft Support

asnagpal
Found this helpful 0
asnagpal replied on

Dear Swathi,

I typed in "regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll" and I got an error saying: "The module "regwizc.dll" failed to load.  Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.  The specified module could not be found."

After that, I typed in "regsvr32.exe licdll.dll" and I got the same error as above.

Next, I tried to download the SMIPI.DLL file from your link, but it appears to be broken, because I don't see any download link on the website nor does a download pop up.  I tried saving Target as, and it tried to save as an HTML file.  I noticed that SMIPI.DLL also exists in c:\windows\winsxs folder, so I copied smipi.dll from that folder (there were several, so I copied the most recent version of it) into system32 folder.  Then I went to Run and typed "regsvr32.exe smipi.dll", and received an error saying: The module "smipi.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.  Make sure that "smipi.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."  After this, I restarted and tried to run windows update again but recieved the same error i keep getting all the time.

Thanks again for the help - I'm looking forward to your next reply.

- Asnagpal
gavindibble
Found this helpful 0
gavindibble replied on

I am having the same problem, however, I do not have a vista installation disc as it came pre installed on my sony vaio. any other suggestions? I'm running windows vista home premium - 32 bit operating system.
Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Mike - Support Engineer replied on

asnagpal,
     I would suggest that you run the System File Checker and see if it repairs anything or returns any errors.   Let us know the results.
Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us kn
dalea57
Found this helpful 0
dalea57 replied on
well people i,ve been working with microsoft for a few months now and here it is the only way sp2 will download is you have to contact microsoft and ask for the IN PLACE UPGRADE CD or contact microsoft at this no. 1-800-426-9400, i have done all the tricks the techs have put out for the smipi.dll installer failed and nothing worked so i sent my computer info to steven zhu and they have figuired it out finally, so good luck people and oh steven zhu contact info is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***  so let me tell you all there,s nothing wrong with your computer, it,s all in the system, dalea57 good luck
dalea57
Found this helpful 0
dalea57 replied on

hi mike , just wanted to let you know if you heard of the IN PLACE UPGRADE to repair the error smipi.dll installer failed , i,ve been working with steven zhu a tech with microsoft and we went over this for about three months now and sent him all my system info and he,s come up with this cd from microsoft or they can call 1-800-426-9400 and order it to repair this issue with sp2 download, this has been a good one for sure and glad someone fixed this problem, so i guess you can tell everyone about this in place upgrade for this issue, and stevens email is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** just thought i,de let you know dalea57
dalea57
Found this helpful 0
dalea57 replied on

hi, my name is dalea57 and i have been working with steven zhu at microsoft to resolve this issue and anyone with this error smipi installer failed haas to get a IN PLACE UPGRADE FROM MICROSOFT  or contact this no. at 1-800-426-9400 to get the cd IN PLACE UPGRADE or contact steven zhu at v-30stz@microsoft .com and he can order cd upgrade at no charge, this issue has been a on going problem for awhile just glad someone has fixed this issue for sp2, i have done every thing that microsoft put out there and nothing works so i sent my systems info to steven and they have fixed this issue, every one thought it was currupt files and it,s not windows vista has no way to install without IN PLACE UPGRADE CD  hope this helps everyone
dale l austin
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next